Prologue

(edited)

Amanda's P.O.V

I was awakened to the sound of the basement door being pounded on.

"Get up bitch. First day of your new school," I heard my step dad scream through the wooden barrier. "Better keep your fucking mouth shut this time. When you are up here we will discuss rules again since you didn't get them through you thick fucking skull last time,"

With that, I heard him stomp away angrily. Good morning to you too. This was my normal wake up call that I've grown accustomed to for the last 10 years of my life.

The thin tattered and torn blanket slid of my body as I sat up to stretch my weak muscles. My fingers fell to my side and brushed against the only personal possession I owned. I picked it up, holding the photo in my hands and remembering the day it was taken like it was yesterday.

The scenery was nature at its finest. A forest of trees, bright green grass, and a cloudless baby blue sky. Standing in front of the beauty behind them was my family before everything fell apart into a shattered reality.

I was 5 years old with the biggest, most genuine smile plastered onto my face; my last happy memory was this day. I still faintly feel the kiss my dad planted on my forehead, and my mother's arms around my tiny torso. We were so happy.

I was a fool to think that this happiness, that this fantasy would last forever. Eventually, gravity pulled me down from the clouds, leaving me broken in pieces on the ground with no one to help me solve the abstract puzzle that has become my life.

Everything changed when I turned 6. Literally. On my birthday. I remember the look on my mother's face when she got the call telling her, her husband had died in a tragic car accident. Her eyes glassy, filled with tears. At some point during the informative call, her legs became too weak to hold her up anymore and she just fell to the ground. Screaming. Screaming one word. Repeating one word. "Why?" "Why?" She would ask to no one in particular. Maybe she was asking God. I never got a chance to find out exactly who.

She was a woman who never let people see her as weak, so with her blood so stubborn, she hid her pain. Masked it quite well. No one would suspect a thing unless you were me. I saw the twitches in her smile, showing me the insincerity of them. I noticed the recurring late night drinking sessions. I witnessed her stare into oblivion and cry silently to herself. I watched her slowly break into a woman without a purpose.

One night, she left me alone. I didn't see her for a week, and when she came home it was with her new husband in tow. Ahriman. Apparently, it was described as a late night in Vegas. Whatever it was, he became my new stepfather.

At first, I let myself believe he would save my mother; convincing myself he was her savior, my hero. Then I saw how much of an influence he was for her bad habits, making her drink more and even got her started on cocaine and marijuana. If anything, he threw away any last hope of her getting better. He ripped the last of her string that was holding onto what was left of the mother I used to know.

On my 7th birthday, I woke up to my parents arguing. My tiny feet quickly scampered down the stairs to find my mother in tears, yelling at Ahriman. Since it seemed like I shouldn't be witnessing this, I hid from their sight.

"I can't Ahri, I can't look at her anymore,"

"We'll get rid of her, we can send her away," I heard him reason.

Who are they talking about? I remember myself thinking.

"Every time I see her, I see him. I just can't anymore, I need to be with him,"

The pain I felt when I realized it was me was almost unbearable. I wasn't thinking about the consequences when I ran out of my hiding place to see her. That's when she gave me a look I will never forget. One that haunts my nightmares. She had broken.

The words she spoke next laced with an intolerable amount of pain.

"I won't anymore. I'm coming for you baby,"

I was so focused on her face that I never noticed the gun held firm in her hands until she put it up to her skull.

"NO!" I screamed, but it was too late. I watched as her finger twitched against the trigger. I heard the bang, and I watched as my mother blew her brains out before my eyes. My little legs ran to her now limp, lifeless body. Dead. Gone forever.

"What's taking you so long bitch? Get your fat ass up here NOW!" I heard Ahriman yell.

After that night, he threw away all of my belongings. Every last toy and personal thing I own; except this photo. He hadn't noticed I had snuck it into my sock while he was in his haze filled with pain and anger. Ahriman believed I was the cause of her death, and I didn't blame him; I did too.

Quickly, my body pushed itself upstairs; out of the small cellular, I was moved into that night, preparing myself for the worst.

I made my way to the kitchen to begin preparing him his usual breakfast.

"Now that you are here, I will begin to list off the rules that you will follow; if you slip up, you will be punished, understood?"

I silently nodded my head, but apparently, he didn't see. Ahriman stalked over to me and grabbed my arm, twisting me around before he punched me in the face.

"I SAID DO YOU UNDERSTAND! ANSWER ME WHEN I'M SPEAKING TO YOU!"

I stayed silent. Before I could react, another punch collided with my stomach, making me double over. His foot began kicking my side. Three. Four. Five. Finally, when he was satisfied, he sat down in his dining room chair and began speaking again.

"Worthless piece of shit," He muttered. "Rule number one. You do not speak to anyone unless it's a teacher or the principal. We wouldn't want you making friends now would we?" I shook my head and slowly got up so I could continue making him breakfast. "Rule number two. If someone asks about your scars or bruises, tell them it was a car accident or something. We don't need child services bothering us. And finally, rule number three. Stay away from any and all boys. You are FORBIDDEN from dating. You are to die alone just like me. Got it?"

My head bobbed up and down to show my understanding. Once I was done with breakfast, I handed it on a plate to him and just watched him patiently.

"You ate a day and a half ago, so you will go to school without breakfast. Goodbye," He waved me off, signaling to get out of his sight.

My feet dragged themselves slowly towards the door and put the small backpack around my shoulders. My shaking, hunger deprived fingers held the piece of paper that tells me the directions to the school. I saw that it said the driving distance is only 15 minutes, but with my aching body, I will probably get there in an hour.

This is going to be a long day. I thought to myself as I walked out the door and began my journey to the high school.

Vote

Comment

Follow