Chapter One Hundred And Fifty One - She is his best friend

The sun casually scattered its light and let it fall where it will, after all, it could not be held responsible for the wide branches of tall trees that prevented the light from touching the earth beneath them.  However a beam did penetrate the canopy and continued its straight path through a slight crack in the clouded window into the bedroom of a two roomed hut.  And there it fell upon the shuttered lids of a girl sprawled out upon her bed in a lazy, inelegant fashion.

The light disturbed the girl's slumber and her eyes fluttered open to see that it truly was day and it was already late morning.  With a groan, she pushed herself to a seated position upon her silk sheets and tugged at the damp curl stuck to her slightly rosey cheek with drool.  Yawning, she stretched and moved to the bedside table where a sealed jug and a bowl waited for her to wash her face, so she could begin her morning.  She tugged a brush through her curls and pinned it away from her face, glancing into the copper mirror as she did.  Without her maids, only simple hairstyles were achievable, but she was used to this now.  At least she no longer had to go to her sister's room and brush and style her hair for her!

After pleading with the kitchens for a little something to eat, for she had missed the breakfast service, she made her way through the woods to the west of her dwelling, heading for the hidden hut within.  She managed once more to lose her way.  Tapping her foot, she ran through her memories and retraced her step.  Just when she thought that she would have to return to her own hut and begin her journey again, the little lean-to shed beside the hut came into view.  She didn't dwell on it too much, thus happened frequently when she travelled here.

The scent of herbs burst through her senses as she finally stepped onto the small path surrounding the hut and made her way to the dusty courtyard in front.  She had been coming here to water Leon's garden, part of her penance, she felt, though it really wasn't her fault that he had gotten hurt, she felt guilty nonetheless.  If she had been more aware... but then who were those people to think they had a right to choose her friends and while she could have mentioned that Leon was closer to a girlfriend than a love interest, his sexuality was his own business and it was not right for her to gossip about it!

As she neared the place where she had stored the bucket and ladle, she heard voices coming from within the hut and began to smile.

"J-Jin Li, you d-don't have t-to d-do that.  The Healer said that m-my arm will b-b-be tender, b-but it is n-now healed."

"That old man also said that the bone will be weak and brittle for up to a week.  Or do you think that you have a miraculous constitution and can ignore his words?"

"N-n-no, of c-course n-not!"

"Then do as I tell you and be still.  You should be honoured that this Lord is lowering himself to serve you!"

The tingle in her nose began and warned her of an inevitable red flow and quickly she placed a handkerchief against it.  However, in her flurry, she knocked over the bucket, which clattered against the ground with the ladle, making a bit of a ruckus.  The door to the hut suddenly opened. 

With narrowed eyes, Jin Li stared at her with slight disdain, though Maimai simply grinned sheepishly in return.  "Oh, it's you."  Despite the unpleasant tone, Jin Li wasn't too bothered about her presence.  She had earned a smidgeon of acceptance.  After all, not only had she provided him with the details that Leon could not, she had even guided him to the culprits.  The bone regrowth pills had come from her pocket and the idea of giving those fools such equal retribution had amused him.  He had only planned to break their arms in retaliation.

In truth, Maimai didn't wish for her sect to cause a fuss due to Jin Li's wrath.  If the expelled students were to arrive home already in shame, but also wounded, they would at least have to give some face.  Sure they could try return home broken and in pain, in order to gain sympathy, but she had already sent her father a letter regarding what had occurred, so they wouldn't have such a free and easy time as they wished.  No matter their story that came from several mouths, her daddy would always believe his little girl's words first.

"Who is it?" Leon called out from inside, causing Jin Li to frown and tut as he allowed Maimai entry.  She was a little disappointed to see Leon sitting in lotus position upon the ground, beside a table holding two cups and a pot of tea.  It simply did not live up to her imagination at all.

"Hey Leon," she smiled anyway.  She was pleased to see that he was still wearing the new glasses and Jin Li had not attempted to replace them with something else.  It would be a shame to recover Leon's expressive eyes.  Especially when they altered into shimmering pools of black tea when he looked towards the man he cared for.  I see the Healer's Hall released you!"  She sat down beside her friend, ignoring the dark glares coming from the third party in the room. 

"Would you like a c-cup of t-tea?" Leon asked her, before trying to scramble to his feet in order to grab a cup.  A hand fell upon his shoulder along with a look that demanded complete obedience. 

"What did this Lord say?" Jin Li asked, coldly as he looked into those large, questioning eyes.  Maimai shivered in delight and placed the bloodied handkerchief to her nose... just in case.