chapter six ◊ xis retpahc

Grim at the side

Short, I’m sorry!  Don’t forget to vote if you please :)

“Turn it off.  Now.” 

“Or what?” Grim, my obnoxious ex, sneered.  He cranked up the volume, the standard Infiniti vibrating uncontrollably.    

My fingers flexed on the steering wheel, carving marks into the chestnut leather.  I hated how he knew the song ‘Selfie’ by the Chainsmokers was my least favourable ear bleeding trend across the globe.  I couldn’t understand why he’d play something to distract me as we were being chased by demons.  Un-fucking-believable.

“Raise the roof, bitches!” Grim cackled in the back seat, sitting back down. 

L-let me take a selfie!” Isaac bothered to murmur. 

Apparently I was the only one who despised that song.  My annoyed feet kept tapping as I checked the rear view mirror again.  The demons in the car behind us were hot on our tail and I noted we needed to escape the city.   

“Sing it with us, Hat!” Grim exclaimed.  He bobbed his mop of hair and with the seatbelt off, swayed in the back passenger seat.  Once we stopped for a red light, an old lady pulled up beside and gave a horrified look at him as he stuck out his tongue and wildly shook his head.  “We’re listening to druggggssssss!” he yelled at the granny. 

I felt the demon car hit our bumper and I thrust forward.  The greater chance of them catching us fuelled my frustration, blood now boiling. 

“Turn the music off!” I roared.  Unable to take my hands off the wheel since half my conscious was deep into my schemes, I drummed the wheel, trying to concentrate.  The light popped green.     

“Never!” my ex yelled in triumph.  

I floored the eight cylinder engine and Isaac’s head smacked off the dashboard.  Grim let out hoot, pounding his fist against the roof, the window rolled down. 

The smell of burning tires against blacktop infected our minds, inhaling the toxic for speed.  “Owwwww,” Isaac moaned.  He clutched his nose. 

Grim’s mouth was full of blond surfer hair and his scream was muffled.  “Let me take another selfie!”  I knew under Grim’s Tom Ford sunglasses, his eyes were sparkling in amusement.   

Going over a hundred clicks, I zoomed past a crowd of teens who swore and nearly missed their feet.  Cutting a quick corner, I shifted gears and slammed on the pedal, our backs hitting the velvet seats.  The Mercedes Benz were glued to our bumper.  I grounded my teeth.  “We’re losing these bitches if it’s the last thing I’ll do.” 

Isaac finally lifted his head from the pain and cocked his face to the left.  His voice strained to overpower the blasting song.  “Warn me about the next stop!” 

Suddenly breaking at a red light, our bodies latched forward and his head smacked off the dashboard again.  “You might want to put on a seatbelt,” I laughed.

He yelped and I hit the gas at the green light before anyone could see us.  Busting down the narrow streets, I swerved onto the next lane around the local ice cream truck and cut in front, ignoring the abrupt honk. 

“You can’t lose them!” Grim cackled, slapping the door.  “They’re gonna catch ussssss!” 

“Shut up!” I growled and snapped the wheel to the right, Grim’s head falling out the window. 

“Let her at it!” he laughed like a lunatic. 

A gunshot rang and everyone flinched, the bullet cracking the back windshield.