*- 9 - So you like older men?

I was trying so hard not to laugh at the sight in front of me. Ron was dancing with McGonagall and it was the highlight of everyone's day. It released some of the tension. I knew that after this, everyone would go looking for dates. The Yule Ball was only about three weeks away. Luckily, there was an extra Hogsmeade trip in two weeks, so all the girls could go shopping for a dress. I was still hoping for Fred to ask me. I felt like maybe he would. I mean, that moment we had in the hallway definitely meant something, right? We haven't talked that much ever since though. It was always a bit awkward. Maybe he regretted it? Well, it wasn't like anything really happened. I was overthinking things again.

"Everybody come together", McGonagall said and all girls rose. I was actually kind of excited.

FRED'S POV

Oh Merlin, we had to pick a dance partner. My eyes scanned the room and landed on Y/N. Luckily, this dance practice was per house, so there was no Cedric or stupid Durmstrang guy to steal her.

"Go for it, bro", George said and pushed me forward. I had told George and only George about what happened a couple days ago in the hallway, but he swore to keep it a secret. He really liked Y/N, not in that way of course, so he was pretty supportive, even though he teased me about it all the time. All the guys finally started asking girls, so I took a deep breath and walked over to her.

Unfortunately, even though there was no Cedric or Durmstrang guy, there was Neville Longbottom. He got to Y/N just before I did and asked her to dance. Was he serious? Y/N was two years older than him and so out of his league.

Our eyes met, so I quickly looked away and asked Angelina to dance, so I would not look like a loser.

YOUR POV

That stung a little. Like, a lot. I mean, Neville was not the worst dancer, but he wasn't really who I was hoping for. I was pretty sure he had a slight crush on me as well, since his hands were sweaty and he looked really excited, yet so nervous.

Fred asked Angelina though and they seemed to have fun. Maybe he did regret what happened, or almost happened.

"Y/N, have you got a date to the ball already?" Neville asked. Oh Merlin. This was not a good situation. Neville was absolutely adorable. I didn't know him at all, but what I knew about him was solely positive. He was incredibly kind and caring. Still, he was only fourteen. How was I going to decline a boy like that? 

"Uhm... no", I said hesitantly.

"Would you maybe, like, want to go with me?" he asked and I cursed internally. I was not good at saying "no" to people. Especially when they were as adorable as Neville Longbottom. Still, he was fourteen. Taking him to the Yule Ball would be immensely weird.

"I'm so sorry Neville, but I'm pretty sure you're a bit young for me", I said and he looked sad. I immediately felt the worst guilt I had felt in a long time. "But you're really lovely, that really sin't the problem", I tried to fix it. "You're a great lad, I'm sure you'll find someone."

"It's fine", he shrugged. I was debating on saying yes, just to get the sad look off his face, but I was interrupted by an excited Lee.

"Sorry Neville, but I'm going to steal your dance partner. Hermione does not have a dance partner though, you should ask he", he wooped in and took me with him, leaving a Neville behind. I looked back, but Neville simply shrugged and went over to Hermione, which made me feel the tiniest bit better.

"It seemed as if you could use a hand", Lee said.

"Poor Neville", I said sadly as I danced with Lee. I then switched over to George and I danced with Alicia a bit too, which was actually really fun. I saw Angelina dancing with Katie so I wondered where Fred had gone off too.