Chapter seven

“Good morning Katrina!” Harley squealed, throwing my front door wide open. I sat there on my couch and quietly sipped my hot chocolate. “It’s a pretty day for a wedding!”

“Yes, it is Harley. I don’t think you need to be quite that loud though.” Selina commented with something sounding like aggravation on the edge of her words. I still refused to make eye contact with anyone, trying to remember what happened when we got home last night.

“What do you mean Ed?” I nearly screamed at him.

“Nothing Katrina.” He sighed, running a hand down his face. “Don’t worry about it.” He started to walk off and I couldn’t bear to hear anything else. Maybe I was wrong.

“Hello! Earth to Katty!” Harley was now in my face and I jumped, sending hot liquid everywhere.

“Oh jeeze!” I hissed. “I’m sorry Harley.” I frowned. I quickly looked around and tried to help her get the stains out of her shirt.

“Don’t worry about that kitten, we’ve got to wake the sleeping birds.” Selina pointed upstairs and I nodded. I’d been too busy thinking to get anyone else up this morning. Heck, I was still in an oversized shirt and shorts. Ivy finally came in carrying a lot of bags and boxes for what I was assuming to contain our attire for the day.

“Need any help?” Chris asked from the kitchen doorway. I turned and saw he was already mostly dressed. He wore black slacks and shoes, an LSU shirt that was going to hide under his button down, and carried a cup of coffee.

“Not at all. This city is well vegetated.” Ivy cooed and the plants around the house sprang to life.

“Just make sure they don’t get dirt in my carpets.” I yawned. Ivy rolled her eyes before disappearing upstairs. “And wake Edward please!” I yelled.

“Already awake.” His voice floated from the kitchen. I looked over at Chris to see him staring at me oddly. I brushed it off and walked past him into my huge kitchen. Edward sat at the table, also mostly dressed. He wore practically the same thing as Chris, black shoes and slacks, except his dress shirt was white and already had his tie in place. “Good morning.”

“Ya, morning.” I flashed a quick smile before heading to the fridge. I grabbed the milk and started to pour a glass when he cleared his throat.

“So, how’d you sleep?” He was obviously trying to make civilized conversation and I decided to go with it.

“I didn’t.” I shrugged. “You?”

“I slept enough.” He answered flatly. I turned to him and took a sip of the milk; he looked like he hadn’t slept a wink. We sat like that for a while and I started thinking about last night again.

“What’s wrong?” I asked outright, tired of this non-sense.

“You really don’t want to know Kat, so drop it.” Edward answered harshly. I was stunned into silence as I let his sharp words stab at me. His eyes showed instant regret for being so cruel. “Kat, that’s not… I didn’t… I never meant… not this far.” He tried to make up.

“You’re thinking about last night.” Ed’s voice brought me back to the present day. Only now he wasn’t across the kitchen, he was behind me. I turned and shook my head.

“Of course not.” I tried not to give anything away but we both knew he was right. The doors burst open as John and Luna were thrown in. Edward and I instantly smiled, trying to act like normal.

“Y’all know it’s the wedding day right?” I teased them. John and Luna stood up, both looking confused and somewhat uncomfortable.

“Wedding day… Oh my gosh.” Luna breathed, her eyes getting wide. “The dress.”