Chapter Forty-Five: Checkmate

I was pacing. I shouldn't be pacing. Why am I pacing?

"What are you pacing for?" Bennett asked me, leaning against the wall. "You shouldn't be the one who's worried. She is."

I let out a nervous laugh. "Yet here I am, pacing."

He grabbed my hand, making me stop pacing. "Just calm down. No need to freak out. Just keep your cool, like-"

"You?" I offered.

"I was going to say a cucumber," Bennett admitted with a small smile. "But I'm flattered that you think of that."

I couldn't help but smile back. "You're welcome."

"Bent, don't let me remind you that Naomi's taken," Jordan sang, making Bennett suddenly let go of my hand, letting it drop back to my side.

Bennett glared at him. "Why would you have to remind me?"

Jordan gave him a knowing smile. "Must I really?"

"What's in the purse?" I asked Jordan, wanting to change the subject.

Jordan gasped and held his purse closer to him. "It's not a purse!"

I rolled my eyes. "I'm sorry, what's in the murse?"

"It's not that either," he retorted. "It's a satchel. You wear glasses Naomi. You should be able to look straight in front of you and obviously tell it's a satchel, not a murse."

I snorted. "I'm looking straight, but I don't see it."

"Me neither," Bennett agreed.

"Oh ha ha," Jordan said.

"But really, what's in the... satchel?"

"You'll see."

Bennett looked around. "Where's Declan anyway?"

"You'll see."

I looked at him. "You're trying to sound mysterious, aren't you?"

"Am I?"

I decided to ignore him, which Bennett must have decided the same thing ever since they first met. School had just ended for the day, and the three of us- should be four though -are in the secluded west wing of the school. No one goes here unless they're couples wanting some privacy, addicts looking for a place to get high, or kids wanting to skip classes.

I looked down at my phone after hitting it a couple of times, since it's been short circuiting. I've put it in rice like Parker told me, but it hasn't work. Maybe it's because I got impatient and ate the rice. No, I'm just kidding. But I'm going to need to buy myself another phone, but I was due for a new one anyway.

"It's almost time," I told them. "She should be here by now."

With a wicked grin, Jordan pulled out his phone. "Then let it... begin."

Bennett and I walked over to one side of the double doors that opened to the west wing as Jordan went to the other side. The lights of the hall dimmed down until it was nearly dark. Jordan had explained to me that he synced the control panel to the lights of the school into his phone. Now he'll be able to turn the lights on and off from anywhere in the school. From the screams in a couple of classrooms, I bet Jordan was probably flickering the lights to freak some kids out, classic Jordan.

That was when I heard it, the faint sound of footsteps tapping against the hallway floor that was slowly getting louder, closer. They were in a slow, even pace, sometimes taking small pauses like the person was hesitating or confused. Suddenly the footsteps came to a stop at the door. A door was pushed wide open, hitting the wall at the side. I heard the slight grunt from Jordan who was hit by the door followed by a groan in pain, but it was covered by the sound of the door closing again.