September 7th (2) (E.H)

September 7th, 1939. 7:21am. The Holley Household

Ella Holley's POV

"Happy birthday, baby! You're such a big boy!" I smile down to Buddy as I pick him up. "You're growing up too fast!"

"Mommy I'm a big Texan Man! Put me down!" Buddy frowns. "I'm three! I don't needa be carried no more!"

"Oh hush up, Buddy. You're always gonna be my baby, no matter how old you are or how big you get. You're my baby,"

He furrows his little eyebrows. "Mommy I want down!"

"No can do, Buddy." I laugh and kiss his cheek. "Can't have you snooping around and finding your presents, can we?"

"I promise I'll just stay at the kitchen table! I'll just color!"

"Fine fine," I say, kissing his cheek again and gently putting him down. "Since it's your birthday, you get to pick a radio station!"

His small brown eyes light up. "Really?"

"Of course!"

He beams as he tries to decide. "Hmmm...mommy I want western,"

"Good enough, baby," I say, heading over to the radio and flicking it to the Country and Western station. He loves country and western, just like his big brothers.

Buddy bounces up and down on his toes for a moment before scurrying to the kitchen table and climbing up. "Thank you mommy!"

"Of course, Buddy. Here, I'll go get you some crayons and paper." I go to the hall closet and retrieve the 8pack of crayons and a couple of sheets of paper.

Once I set the paper and crayons infront of him, I go to the kitchen and whip up some pancakes for breakfast. The older kids should be rousing at any time now.

I cut up a pancake for Buddy and set it infront of him. "Happy birthday!"

He grins. "Can I have syrup mama?"

I go to the cabinet and grab the bottle of syrup. "Do you want mama to pour it on or do you want to?"

"Me! I wanna! I'm a big boy!"

I laugh lightly. "You sure are, Buddy."

He takes the syrup and carefully pours it over the cut up pancakes. "I did it! I'm so big! I'm almost as big as Larry!"

"Nor quite yet, baby, but you will be before you know it."

Later

"Germany's recent attack on Poland has caused Great Britian and France declare war. Great Britain and France both had guarantees of support to Poland if it should ever be invaded. German Dictator, Adolf Hitler-"

Larry turns the radio off. "Ma, it's Buddy's birthday. C'mon, let's just have a nice time,"

I shake my head. "I just hope the United States doesn't get involved."

"Hush up, ma. It'll be okay." Larry pats my shoulder. "Let's just make sure Buddy has a good birthday,"

"You're right. Larry, could you go down to Smith Bakery and pick up the cake? Oh, and stop by the toy store and get a couple things he'll like?"

Larry nods. "Yeah, ma. I'll be back soon," he starts to head out the front door.

"Wait! Lemme get you some money-"