12. The Hospital Wing

Y/N's POV

"Lucky the ground was so soft."

"I thought he was dead for sure."

"But he didn't even break any bones."

I could hear the voices whispering, but they made no sense whatsoever. I didn't have a clue where I was, or how I had got there, or what I had been doing before I got there. All I knew was that every inch of me was aching like I had been beaten.

"That was the scariest thing I've ever seen in my life."

Scariest...the scariest thing...hooded black figures...cold...screaming...

My eyes snapped open. I was lying in the Hospital Wing. The Gryffindor Quidditch team, spattered with mud from head to foot, was gathered around my bed. Harry, Hermione and surprisingly Ron were also there, looking as though they'd just climbed out of a swimming pool.

"Y/N!" said Issac, who was covered in mud. "How're you feeling?"

Everything started slowly coming back to me, the Dementors...the voice...someone getting killed...

"What happened?" I said, sitting up.

"You fell off," said Fred, "must've been... maybe...fifty feet?"

"We thought you'd died," said Angelina, who was shaking.

Hermione made a small, squeaky noise. Her eyes were extremely bloodshot.

"But the match," I said, "what happened? Are we doing a replay?"

No one said anything. The horrible truth sank into me like a stone.

"We didn't...lose?"

"Diggory got the Snitch," said George, "just after you fell. He didn't realise what had happened. When he looked back and saw you on the ground, he tried to call it off. Wanted a rematch. But they won fair and square...even Wood admits it."

"Where is Wood?" I said, suddenly realising he wasn't there.

"Still in the showers," said Issac, "we think he's trying to drown himself."

I put my face to his knees, my hands gripping my hair. Fred grabbed my shoulder and shook it roughly.

"C'mon, Y/N, you've never missed the Snitch before."

"That had to be one time you didn't get it," said George.

"It's not over yet," said Fred, "we lost by a hundred points."

"Right? So if Hufflepuff loses to Ravenclaw and we beat Ravenclaw and Slytherin..." Issac said.

"Hufflepuff will have to lose by at least two hundred points," said George.

"But if they beat Ravenclaw..."

"No way, Ravenclaw is too good. But if Slytherin loses against Hufflepuff..."

"It all depends on the points, a margin of a hundred either way-"

I laid there, not saying a word. We had lost...for the first time ever, I had lost a Quidditch match.

After ten minutes or so, Madam Pomfrey came over to tell the team to leave me in peace.

"We'll come and see you later," Fred told me, "don't beat yourself up. Y/N, you're still the best seeker we've ever had."

The team trooped out, trailing mud behind them. Madam Pomfrey shut the door behind them, looking annoyed. Harry, Ron and Hermione moved nearer to my bed.