Chapter 13- Reality Hits

Ashley

               Lightheaded. That's the only word that could describe how I was feeling. The plane had landed, bringing us back home in one piece. After seeing the wedding bands on both our fingers, there wasn't much conversation.

Ellie didn't give a shit. After her initial comment, she shrugged and was fast asleep. Once the flight was over, we all went our separate ways. Robin brought me home, and I was currently laying in the king-sized bed of my classic townhouse, examining the ring that dressed my ring finger.

What were we thinking? It was way too early, way too early. We hadn't even discussed getting married. Marriage had never even been brought up as a thought. Realistically, Robin and I had only been dating for a few months.

I rolled over, huffing loudly into my pillow. My blond hair was fanned out around me, my face red with anxiety? Or was it panic. My best friend didn't even know about this, and I'm not so certain I should tell her.

Would we get a divorce? Did we actually get married or did we just get rings? So many questions and no idea where to find the answers.

The trilling of my cellphone brought me out of my cluster of thoughts. I glanced at the screen and saw Robin's name lit up. I took a deep breath and placed the phone to my ear.

"What, haven't had enough of me yet?" I chuckled awkwardly. Yikes.

"Not quite," I could hear the smile in her voice, and that caused me to loosen up a bit.

I sat up in bed, crossing my legs. "What's up?"

"I made a few calls..." she started. "We're legally married."

There was a thud in my chest. As I tried to formulate a response, she spoke again.

"I spoke to a lawyer friend of mine, we can get it annulled. He just needs to draft up the paper—"

"Yeah definitely," I think I may have answered too quickly.

There was a loud silence on the other end of the line.
"Right, I'll get on it. Bye." The call ended before I could stop her.

I needed a drink, definitely. After making a few calls, and getting shot down by all my friends, I decided that I would head out to the club on my own. The black, strapless body-glove dress that I chose clung to my body desperately. Just a few moments to clear my head, that's all I needed.

Robin never called back throughout the day, and I made no effort in doing so either. I was overthinking, to say the least. My blonde hair was curled to perfection, dangling just above my shoulders. I removed the ring, placing it on the bathroom counter before slipping on my red stilettos.

The wind blew through my blond tresses as I waited on the patio for my uber. This whole situation has got me thinking, and overthinking. Yes, robin and I were dating but what did that mean for the future? Would I marry her later on? Would we have kids? How did that even work, what was the procedure? My forehead throbbed as the thought kept racing through my mind.

I didn't think that far ahead, I'm not sure why, but it never occurred to me that someday we would have to decide on these things. She was after all the first woman I've ever dated. I wasn't even sure I liked women. But I liked her. No, I loved her.

A navy-blue Toyota pulled up at the bottom of the driveway. I tried to clear my mind on the way to the club, I actually wanted to enjoy myself, release my inhibitions or whatever that Natasha woman said.