Chapter 1: New in Town

Your POV:
It's a cold winter's evening. It's 7:00 PM, and my ship has just arrived at the docks. I am now in Republic City, a place where benders and non benders, descent of all four nations live and socialize with one another, and home of Avatar Korra.

You: "Well this is it, a fresh start." I said to myself. I have come here to start a new a new life, after my parents were killed in a fire that destroyed the house in which I was raised and grew up. I pull out a picture of me and my parents. Although it happened a week ago, I still remember the incident as thought it happened yesterday.

*Flashback*

It was a calm winter's night. The ground is covered in a thin sheet of snow. I was sitting in the living room with my parents talking about memories from last summer's fishing trip .

You: "Hey Mom, remember when we all went fishing last summer, when we ran into that school of salmon and Dad got whacked in the face by one?"

Mom: "Of course I do. I was laughing so hard, my ribs started to hurt." She said. I'm gonna lie. She really did laugh that hard

Dad: "..And, not mention I lost my favorite cap because of that little smelly bastard." He said with contempt.

You: "I know, and I'm sorry that happened. But either way, it was still funny." I responded. What I didn't know was that the little noose from which one of the sealing lamps was hanging, had grown weak from the flame's heat coming from the lamp. Eventually, the loop of the noose gave out, and snapped.

The lamp fell from the hook in the sealing, hit the ground, and broke on impact. But it goes unnoticed as my family and I were occupied talking about memories from my childhood. The oil which would be absorbed by the wick inside the lamp, spilled out of the small oil pan and soaked into the rug. The flame from the still lit wick sets the rug on fire, and the fire spreads quick from the oil soaked in the rug.

You: 'What the hell?' I thought to myself as I smelled something burning. I turn to see the roaring flame. My father and I run to kitchen and to grab as much water as possible while my mother tries to reach the fire department. I keep throwing bucket of water after bucket of water at the fire as it continues to spread across the room Eventually, mom tells my father and I that the fire department are on their way, as the both of us keep dousing the blazing flame with water trying to keep it under control. But then suddenly the sealing gives out and collapses on both my parents killing them almost instantly.

You: "MOM!! DAD!!" I screamed before running towards the debris to move it away from from my parents' corpses, but I burn my hands on the hot support beams. I hurry and grab some change because I know I'm gonna need it eventually. I run out of the house and into the frontyard, and I shove my hands into the snow in an attempt to ease the scorching pain. Then, I turn around and look up as my home is now engulfed in flames."Oh God. Mom, Dad." I said as tears begin to roll down my face as I watch the very place where I grew up, burn to ground, and taking in the fact that I've lost everything, left with nothing but the clothes on my back.

*Flashback Ends*

You: "I miss you guys so much. Where ever you guys are now, I just hope you are happy." I then put the picture back into my pocket.

I walk away from the docks and into the city. I walk down the snow covered sidewalk, and I breathe a small breath of fire trying to stay warm as I look for a place to stay for the night.
I start to get the feeling that I am lost. I look for someone to ask for directions, eventually, I see group of four driving down the snow-covered road and I wave at them.

You: "Excuse me!! Excuse me!!" I hollered. They slow down and I notice the driver who had long, luxurious, raven black hair, and emerald green eyes. (It's Asami, for those of you who don't know.)

(???): "Can I help you, sir?" She asked me. "Look, I'm real sorry to bother you at this time of night, but I'm new to town and I'm trying to find a place where I can stay for the night, can you give directions to the nearest apartment complex?" I explained to her. "Oh yeah, you just need to walk three blocks down that way, then head towards the second building at the left." She tells me."Thanks, miss." I replied. "Of course." She replies back. She then drives into the night. I follow her directions and start walking I find the apartment building. I walk through the revolving door and towards the desk.

You: "Excuse me, can I rent an apartment?" I asked the key keeper. She then looks up to me.
Key keeper: "Yes sir, I just need you to fill out this form." Said the key keeper. I take the form and I fill it out. I give the form back to the key keeper, she turns around, grabs a key from the cabinet, and hands it to me.

Key Keeper: "Your apartment is on the third floor, fifth door to the right side of the hallway, residents pay rent monthly."

You: "Okay. Thank you."

I then head towards the elevator, push the button calling the elevator down to the ground floor, walk in to the elevator, and push the third floor button. The elevator reaches the third floor. I then exit the elevator and walk down the hall towards the fifth room on the right of the hallway. I unlock the door and enter the 30 square foot one room apartment. I look around scanning the room. There is a sofa that unfolds into a bed with an end table right next to it, a window on the other side of the room, facing the door, the kitchen is on the left side of the window with the counter ending two feet away from the window's frame, a gas stove/oven facing the door and the sink and refrigerator right next to each other, facing the wall to right . The door leading to the bathroom is facing the sofa.

You: "...looks alright." I said to myself. I walk into the room and shut the door behind me. I look inside the refrigerator to find nothing. "Dammit. There's nothing in here, once I get a job and earn some money, I'm gonna have to go grocery shopping." I said to myself I check the cupboards for anything and I find a box of uncooked noodles.

You: "Well, at least I have these to eat." I grab a pot from inside the oven, fill it with water, place the pot over the stove, turn on the stove, dump the noodles in to the pot and wait for them to cook.

The noodles are done cooking and I turn off the stove, grab a strainer, and walk over to the sink with the pot and dump the noodles into the strainer and wait for the water to drain out of the strainer. I put the noodles into a bowl and grab a pair of chopsticks.

You: "Tomorrow, I'm gonna look for a job."
I eat the noodles, put the bowl in the sink and unfold the bed from the sofa, turned the light off, laid down and turned in for the night.

To be continued....