9. Peggy's

'Ana, table 5 is up!'

'Could we get more red sauce over here, please?'

I wipe the sweat off my brow, before grabbing the hot tray, and a fresh bottle of tomato sauce, as I come out from behind the staff counter.

I quickly dump the sauce down at a nearby table.

'Thanks," one of the kids mutter.

Table 5. It's at the back of the restraunt.

"Great,'" I mutter.

The booth is packed with a bunch of popular, Thornhill boys from the year below.

"Hey, smart ass."

Hey brain - dead.

I muster a smile and place the trays down.

"5 hot dogs, 2 cheeseburgers, and 10 fries."

I go to walk away.

"Where's the blowjob?"

"What?"

They all try to hide their snickers behind their hands as I turn back to them.

I know it's Joey Russo that said it, because he's the only one staring me in the eye, daring me to say something back.

I want to make a good comeback. But I don't.

Instead I say, "If you talk like that again, Peggy will kick you out."

I hear Joey mocking me, and all of his friends laughing, as I return to the counter.

I lean onto it, my face resting in my hands, tired and experiencing stomach cramps. I have a science magazine open on the counter and it's just beginning to get to the good stuff. I don't even look up when the bell tinkles.

"Ana, I'll be 5 minutes!" I hear Peggy call out from the kitchen. It's quietening down so she'll be stepping outside for a break.

"Okay."

I absent-mindedly hear the squeaking of shoes.

"Hi."

I jump.

A guy that looks around my father's age is standing in front of me, smiling.

"Can I get a coffee please, sweetness?"

The way he said 'sweetness' makes me cringe.

"Of course. Sugar?"

"Uh huh. Two."

He slaps a five pound note down onto the counter. I open the till and fetch his change, but he waves it away.

'Thank you," I say, politely.

I turn my back to him, and press a button on the coffee machine. The bell tinkles again.

"What time does this place close?"

"Eight," I reply, pouring two sachets of sugar into his coffee. "Or a bit after."

"Not long then," I realise he's came around the counter. "You're too pretty for this place. Let me take you somewhere fine."

"No, thank you." I hold out his drink. "Enjoy your coffee, sir. "

"No?" He raises a greying eyebrow, as he takes his coffee.

I take a step back, ready to kick him in the nuts if I have to.

"You're not supposed to be around here," I say.