Memories

"Who are you?"

Jirou clenched her hand.

"I'm sorry. I can't remember much."

Jirou's head dropped, and she looked at the floor. Tears came to her eyes, and she blinked them back. Turning her head slightly, she looked at the bed sheets, before turning her eyes upwards.

Momo's eyes locked onto hers, onyx eyes meeting hers. Jirou could remember when her friend looked affectionately at her, smiling and laughing at Jirou's jokes. Now, it was like she was looking a completely different person.

Deciding not to worry Momo further, Jirou sat back up and leaned back against the chair. She stayed silent for a moment, thoughts running through her head. Momo continued to watch her, nervously intertwining her hands as she waited.

"You... don't remember anything?" Jirou finally managed out. Momo shook her head immediately, and Jirou let out a long sigh. 

"Excuse me?" The doctor's voice interrupted their conversation, and Jirou looked towards the door. Standing there was a doctor and Mr. Aizawa, who held a balloon in his hands. 

"I need to examine the patient. It should only take a moment. However, I'll need you to step out while I take the tests." Jirou complied, rising from her chair and taking one last look at Momo. 

"The doctor says she has amnesia. Whether it's temporarily or permanent is only for the future to decide." Mr. Aizawa said once the door was closed. Jirou nodded, biting her lip. "I heard." 

"She's strong. I'm sure she'll make it through this, no matter what." Mr. Aizawa scratched his head, trying to comfort Jirou. She could only nod, looking anywhere but her teacher.

They were quiet for a while, before the doctor reappeared. He spoke briefly with Mr. Aizawa, before allowing Jirou to reenter. 

Momo was now sitting at the edge of the bed, swinging her legs. She perked up slightly when she saw Jirou, recognizing her as the girl who had been by her side earlier. "Hello!" Momo greeted her. Jirou waved, sitting back down in the chair.

"The doctor said most of my memories are gone, but I should be fine soon." Momo smiled. Jirou's eyes lowered, forcing a smile to her lips. If she gets them back. "I'm glad." Jirou said.

"Anyways, I didn't catch your name earlier. What is your name?" Momo asked. "Kyouka Jirou." Jirou replied. She held at her hand, and Momo took it, shaking it firmly. 

"Well Jirou, thank you for staying with me. I hope that eventually, I'll be able to remember again." Momo grinned, and Jirou couldn't help but smile back. I promise you, I will help you.

/

Over the weeks, Jirou, along with the rest of Class 1-A, slowly helped their friend remember. They would participate in different activities, including small training sessions and fun events. They reintroduced Momo to the rest of the school and staff. Class 1-A also constantly took Momo to her favorite places, including a tea shop. 

Momo seemed to be getting better each day, no longer having trouble remembering her friends' names. She constantly worked harder in class, making up for lost time. Momo also gladly helped her friends, even helping with the study session Class 1-A had.

Jirou, meanwhile, continued to privately help Momo. They would constantly go to her room, and Jirou would let Momo play on her keyboard. On one particular day, Momo surprised her.

Jirou was playing her bass, fingers dancing over the strings. Momo watched her, eyes closed as she listened to the sound. 

Once Jirou finished, Momo clapped. "That was awesome, Jirou!" Jirou blushed, looking away in embarrassment. "It's nothing." She put the instrument away, before sitting down next to Momo.

"It's not nothing! You're so talented Jirou! Remember when you played during the Festival? Everyone was cheering and-" Momo trailed off as Jirou abruptly stood up. She faced Momo, heart beating quickly and eyes wide.

"Y-You remember the festival?" Jirou was shaking now, but she could have cared less. Momo had mentioned for the first time something that had happened before the incident. It was only a small step, but...

"Not all of it," Jirou's face fell slightly, "But I definitely remember you playing, along with the others. You were singing, and the audience was cheering, and-" Momo stopped, face contorted in concentration.

Jirou sighed. Of course she wouldn't completely remember, but this was a start! If she could remember the festival, then she could possibly remember more! 

Jirou took Momo's hand gently as she sat back on the bed. She rubbed her thumb over Momo's knuckles and fingers, including the small scar she now had. "That's a start." She said. Momo beamed, laying back with Jirou.

"I'm going to try and remember more so I can catch up." Momo stated. Jirou smiled. "Just don't try too hard, OK?" 

When her memories come back, I'll tell her everything. Jirou decided in that moment.

Short little story I've been thinking about for a while. I'm glad that people have been enjoying these stories! :D