𝟎𝟎𝟓 | TO THOSE WE'VE LOST

THERE WAS NO adjusting to the new camp, even after all this time. Mya had never really found much comfort of sleeping in a world like this, especially in the same tent as her father. It wasn't as if Ed gave her the time of day anymore, unless, of course, he wanted something from her or he wanted to insult her. What put her mind at ease though, was being able to make sure Sophia and her mother were safe as they slept, that was the only reason she didn't change tents. She probably would've started bunking with Glenn weeks ago if it wasn't for them.

Raindrops pattered on the fabric of the tent, growing louder as sleep attempted to claim Mya. It was no use, she wouldn't get any rest tonight. Not in this tent, not when her mind was still racing with thoughts of the family she'd left behind and the redneck still on the roof in Atlanta.

Cautiously, Mya slipped out of the tight embrace of her younger sister, who looked so safe and at peace in her sleep, carefully unzipping the tent. The rain hit her instantly, cooling her down as they did so. Standing up straight, Mya contemplated going into the RV, maybe reading a book and trying not to wake Dale or Jim, that was until she saw Shane sat on top of it, only a baseball cap to protect him from the downpour. He hadn't noticed her exit her tent.

Being sure not to draw any unwanted attention to herself, Mya gently hauled herself up the ladder. "Any room under that umbrella?" She whispered to get Shane's attention.

Shane gripped his gun tightly, almost pointing it at Mya before relaxing, "Dammit, Mya, I thought you were a geek." He told her, his frustration exiting his mind just as soon as it had entered, she hadn't meant to scare him after all, "Almost shot you."

After the gun had been lowered, Mya sat down next to Shane, "Geeks don't climb up ladders." She assured him, before pausing as she doubted herself. The idea of geeks being able to climb up ladders made her shudder, "I don't think." She corrected.

Letting out a soft chuckle, Shane nodded slightly. He seemed more relaxed than he had been earlier, that was a good sign, right? "What did you want, anyway?" He asked her.

"Couldn't sleep. You need any help keeping watch?" She asked him, offering him a comforting smile. Sure, she wasn't much good in a longe range fight, but it'd be better to have more eyes than one. If she couldn't sleep, she may as well do something useful instead.

Shane glanced down at his own weaponry, "You even know how to shoot a gun?" He asked.

Rolling her eyes at his callous attitude, Mya shook her head truthfully. "No, but an extra pair of eyes never hurt anyone." She added on before gently swinging her legs back and forth off of the roof of the RV, "Besides, you seem like you need someone to talk to."