Chapter Seventy-Five

Every so often in the Underworld, Persephone would order that Hades take a much-needed rest and allow everyone else to handle matters

Every so often in the Underworld, Persephone would order that Hades take a much-needed rest and allow everyone else to handle matters. Usually, he would protest because, in some respects, he liked his job. He liked making sure that everything ran smoothly and he liked to be aware of everything taking place, however, he was never one to argue with Persephone. The last person that dared to challenge her ended up becoming a plant and Hades didn't think he would make a very pretty flower.

So he allowed his wife to call the shots for the day while he sat alone. Despite terrible screams coming from one direction, it was relatively quiet. And even when he had tried to approach Cerberus perhaps for a little entertainment, he was shrugged off by the beast who only wanted to nap.

"This is terrible," he muttered to himself, " how am I supposed to relax when I'm bored?"

It would have been nice if Persephone had joined him for a nice relaxing time but he could hear her every now and then, delivering orders. He didn't even think as of recent that he had been hat stressed but that was more than likely because he gave himself too much credit. After the way things fell with Elspeth and her discovering her true heritage, Hades had been fretting over the moment when it would be time to tell her...again.

Only this time, it would be him and Persephone with Sorcha and Caelan in their company as well. And while Elspeth claimed that she would probably take the news better under different circumstances, he wasn't sure how true that was. In his experience, Elspeth definitely took the news to heart and if something made her upset, there really was no turning back. One only had to face the music and that sometimes led to a very painful experience.

And he wasn't just talking about nipples.

But rather, he remembered the way she looked at him, believing that she had been practically abandoned. When in reality, Hades had agreed to give her over to Sorcha and Caelan as a matter of protection and love. There had been nothing more that he wanted out of life than to experience the beauty of family but what he had witnessed before Elspeth's arrival,  life in the Underworld was not always the best place for a child, godly or not.

He had wished that the news had gone over well the first time around because he wasn't so sure if he could handle seeing that look on Elspeth's face again.

Suddenly, in the midst of his thoughts, Hades heard the sound of groaning in the distance. He lifted his head and looked in the direction of the darkness, just wondering what was going on. He was close to rising out of his chair as the groaning sound grew closer, only to wait a few seconds more and see Elspeth emerge from the shadows.

"Elsp-"

Her body was wrapped with blankets and in the lighting, Hades could see that her nose was red. As she grew closer, he could hear the sound of her sniffling too and finally, she made her way over and plopped down next to him.

"How are you?" he ventured to ask, only to have her look at him through the corner of her eye.

"I feel like death."