Chapter 30: Separation

The young madam of the Hai Residence is currently confined within her husband's courtyard by her overzealous protective husband, General Hai Bojing.

The last time that she is allowed to leave her courtyard is when her sister-in-law, Hai Chunhua, left for the western region together with two of her own personal maidservants, Dongmei and Jinghua. As much as she is sad to see all the three of them go, she rests assured that this will benefit them in the long run.

Although First Prince Rong Yingming appears not as dependable as her husband but he might not be as what he appears to be. There is no way that General Hai Bojing would befriend a useless bum who happens to be a member of the imperial family.

"Chuntao... I am bored. Where is the General?"

Chuntao who is standing next to her chuckles before she answers, "Furen, the General is currently in his study room."

Jia Huian softly sighs before she says, "It means that I am unable to go out of this courtyard. Caolan... Where is she?"

"Furen, Caolan is at the kitchen to prepare health tonic for you."

"Health tonic? Again? But it tastes so bitter..."

"Huian... Do not be stubborn. You have to consume it as your body is slightly weak ever since your pregnancy."

Jia Huian softly sighs as she turns her head to look at General Hai Bojing who has just entered the sleeping chamber. When he sits on the bed, Jia Huian gently grasps onto his hand before she softly says, "Bojing... You are starting to annoy me. Are you sure you do not want to return to the western region?"

General Hai Bojing smiles as he gently touches her cheek using his other hand. He knows well that ever since Jia Huian has been confirmed to be pregnant, her usually calm manner is no longer present. These days, her moods change much faster than the weather itself. Though, he is not complaining about it as he knows that the one who causes his wife to act in such a way is the little 'bean' in her belly who she insisted to be a girl.

"Huian, your moods are getting worse lately. Are you alright? Are feeling uncomfortable anywhere?"

He asked with full concern as he checks his wife who by now is pouting as she ignores him.

Chuntao who is standing nearby smiles before she says, "General Hai, furen seems to be quite bored these days."

"Is that so? How about we go out after we had our lunch? A new tea house has just opened not far from our home."

Jia Huian suddenly turns her head with sparkles in her large and rather expressive pair of eyes, "Really? I have heard about it too. Older brother said that the owner is a good friend of his."

General Hai Bojing chuckles before he says, "Yes, it belongs to one of older brother-in-law's friend. Ahh... Your tonic has arrived. Drink all of it. Slowly..."

Jia Huian takes a deep breath before she takes a huge gulp of the health tonic prepared by Caolan for her as she frowns. After she has consumed all of it, she then begrudgingly says, "So bitter..."

Caolan smiles before she says, "This servant has prepared some candied winter melon. Furen, please eat one only to lessen the bitter aftertaste of the tonic."

"This is so good... Chuntao, try one. Bojing..."

General Hai Bojing chuckles before he says, "No, thank you. I do not like sweet stuff. Do not eat too much of it."

"I know... Caolan put them away for future use. Both of you should prepare more to be given to lao taitai. Ping'er would absolutely love it too."

Chuntao nods her head before she signals Caolan to retreat themselves out from the sleeping chamber. Jia Huian yawns as she covers her lips. General Hai Bojing sees this and says, "Take a short nap before lunch. Today we will have lunch at mother's courtyard."