Chapter 57: The First Rule

Fanmade cover by Shane Ong

The day was indeed brighter; like the sun's appearance after a long, ruthless weather. However, the Borgian Castle knew better than to put their trust in it as pirates and soldiers filled the castle ground to train in combat. They knew that the storm was not yet over and a deluge was on its way. Though, it was also a good sight, seeing them worked together in order to achieve the same goal. I was seeing a great possibility for the land's unity; I was seeing hope. And if things go according to Threy's plan, then this hope will turn into great future. And thus, I decided to stay with him.

I was walking with Cecilia towards the castle's garden when I noticed a group of curious men forming in the middle of the field. I stopped and watched them interestingly, wondering what was happening in the circle they had made.

"It's probably a brawl. Someone challenged another man into a fight. Don't worry, it's not that serious. It could also be a part of their training. They'll get over it," Cecilia said dismissively when she noticed what got my attention.

I didn't know what had gotten into me when I asked, "Can I watch it?"

She stared at me questioningly, before she nodded. "Alright. Perhaps, you aren't as sophisticated as a typical lady should be."

"Well, I can be one if I want to," I smirked at her.

She grinned back at me knowingly as we made our way to the front within the circle. We didn't encounter any difficulty for they let us passed without questions. What had gotten my attention first were the two half-naked bodies glistening in sweat as they stood under the morning sun and measuring each other's strength. The sight was actually magnificent for a maiden who was looking for a strong man who would fight for her heart. But as I squinted my eyes to inspect the two brave men, my amusement turned into a frown as I watched Captain Rowaen launched an attack against Owain. The latter dodged it and landed a blow on the captain's jaw. The crowd cheered on the two making bets with their silvers.

"How did they end up in this kind of pettiness?" I whispered to myself but was rewarded with an answer when a huge, brawny woman glanced down at me.

"Men are silly creatures we can use for amusement," she answered. She was apparently taller than most of the women and had tattoos and piercings all over her body. I remembered her from that breakfast in the Pirate City where Captain Rowaen invited me and also in the meeting with the captains. She was the kind of a pirate who would not take shit from anyone. She was the captain of the Sea Jewel. She could be a valuable ally or a lethal enemy.

I nodded, "I must agree with you." Her presence was a little bit intimidating but she didn't pose as a threat to me at all. Instead, she looked at me with recognition in her eyes.