Chapter 47

After the storm, Kaerius fell asleep sitting on the couch with his head buried into Rowan's shoulder. Rowan almost fell asleep many times. The gentle rhythm of Kaerius's breathing was soothing, and his warmth was comforting. Rowan closed his eyes for thirty seconds, and his dad was poking him with the end of a broom.

"I didn't sleep," Rowan mumbled, and Kaerius stirred against him.

"I was just checking," Michael said and gave him a plate of toast with jam and a large cup of tea. Kaerius lifted his head and for a moment, looked very confused and very tired. The left side of his black hair stuck to his face from being squashed against Rowan's shoulder. "Good morning," Michael smiled.

Kaerius blinked at him and frowned. "What time?" he grumbled and rubbed his eyes.

"It's nearly eight in the morning." Michael looked back and forth between them. He hadn't seen his son close with anyone. His upbringing meant that Rowan couldn't have friends, let alone someone to date. Finally, Michael thought, he's living his life. "One more night of no sleep, and then we can go to the vampires."

"We need to make a plan today," Rowan said and tried to sit up, but Kaerius pushed him back down and rested his head back against his shoulder.

"I sleep," Kaerius said and closed his eyes, scowling.

"He sleeps," Rowan sighed and without thinking, softly ran a hand through Kaerius's hair. He was getting comfortable. Kaerius lying against him was feeling natural. The bond was seeping into him, and Rowan couldn't stop it, even if he wanted to. The feeling was like dipping into water so deep, you couldn't touch the bottom, though Rowan knew how to swim, he just had to accept that swimming would get him to where he wanted to be.

Kaerius slept for two more hours before he woke to the smell of fish. Cooked fish was growing on him, though he missed the texture of it when it was raw. "Rowan go work soon?" Kaerius asked, sitting at the table with him and Michael.

"Not today," Rowan said, and Kaerius's lips curled towards a smile.

"You're here all day?"

"Yep, I'm with you all day," Rowan smiled. Kaerius seemed pleased by that.

"We go sea?" Kaerius asked. "Check Laiken and Jaiker?"

"Sure," Rowan smiled, but his relaxed state was quickly taken away by the sound of the doorbell. He looked to his dad, who rose slowly.

"Stay here and be quiet," Michael whispered. Mandy had said she would stay away, but her hunters wouldn't always follow her orders. Michael tiptoed to the door and peered through the spyglass. He stared at a boy no older than Rowan. The boy knocked again and shoved glasses up his nose. He carried folders and a backpack. He didn't look like a hunter at all.

Michael opened the door but kept the chain latched. "Hello?" he said with caution.

"Um hi, I'm looking for Rowan Solar? I went to his place by the beach, but his mum said he lived with his dad now. She gave me your address."

"Who are you?"

"I'm Jack. We have work to do for the assignment."

"Oh..." Michael turned and yelled for Rowan. His son, hesitantly, appeared at the end of the corridor. "Your friend Jack is here."

"Jack?" Rowan ran a hand through his hair and peered through the gap in the door.

"Solar," Jack said and waited until Rowan's dad had walked away. "I was thinking about what you're up to with curses. I want to help."

"Jack," Rowan sighed and opened the door wider. "You've been a great help so far, but you can't-"

"I can," Jack interrupted. "You obviously don't know anything about vampires and fairies. I do."