10. How I'll Imagine You Later

It's 8.45pm when I leave Peggy's. My uniform (a pink, collared dress that ends just above the knee) is now mostly hidden beneath my coat, and I've pulled on a pair of black tights.

The sky is clear of clouds but full of stars, the air is frosty, and there's only one car left in the car park.

River's black ferrari.

He really just waited 20 minutes for me to finish.

River Kavinsky; the boy who lives only for violence. The same River that got excluded from school on Tuesday for the rest of the week because he set fire to a girl's bag in chemistry.

I pause outside the diner. Everyone I know would tell me getting into a car with River is a sign of insanity. And I'm sleeping at Lucy's house tonight, alongside Olivia. What would they think of me if they saw us pull up together?

The lights of the ferrari flash.

I start to move towards it. I'll just tell him I want to walk.

When I reach the passenger side, instead of opening the door, I knock on the tinted window.

I stand nervously for a second, before he rolls it down.

River leans over. He's put a black, leather jacket on over his hoodie.

"Why are you knocking on the window like a prostitute? Just get in. "

"Look, um, thank you for offering River, but I think I'll quite enjoy the walk," I say, tightly wrapping my hand around the strap of my shoulder bag.

River's gaze darkens. "Anatolia," he laughs, dryly. "I hope I didn't just hear you say I've wasted 20 minutes out here. Get in the car."

I cave, noting the sutble threat.

"Okay."

I open the door and climb into the passenger seat.

I close the door, and sink back into the red leather. The Arctic Monkeys play softly through the speakers.

I wait for us to move.

River drums his fingers on the wheel.

"Seatbelt, Anatolia."

"Oh!"

I quickly fasten it.

River glances over at me. "6th Street, yeah?"

"I'm staying at Lucy's tonight."

"Why?" He jeers.

When I don't rise to his bait, he says

"Alright, I won't make fun of your friend. So what witchy, little cottage does she breed bats and eat children in?"

"7 Ravensworth Crescent," I glare. "It's about a 10 minute drive."

He raises his dark eyebrows, "Near The Hills?"

I nod.

"Rich girl," he chides, steering out of the car park. "So how long have you worked at Peggy's?"

The roads are dead. We start to pick up speed. I don't know the speed limit, but I know we're probably past it.

"That was my first shift," I reply, biting my lip.

"You're nervous," he comments.

"I'm fine."

"Has a boy ever driven you home before?"

"A boy has walked me home before," I say, quietly.

"Who? Jack Adams?"

"No," I clear my throat. "You."