Chapter 98: Fifth Life - A Forced Marriage

Okay, maybe I might have looked back once.

But only just to see if he was onto me!

He wasn't. Just kept staring out into the pond of floating yellow-green sparks...

After what happened yesterday night, my father has been angry with me. Just after dinner, he started this intense lecturing session in his study. Of course, directed at me.

"You've embarrassed me for the last time!" My father paces back and forth while yelling.

He is very much upset that I did not speak with the Prime Minister's nephew yesterday night.

"You will get married to Scholar Liu next month!" He points at me.

My heart flourishes with flames of anger. "No, I will not!"

"You will, and you will bring honor to this family."

"I have no desire to bring anyone honor, but myself."

"This is why you're a failure! You don't care for anyone but yourself!"

"I am only a failure in your eyes."

"If you want to be of value then you must do what you're told. By marrying Scholar Liu, you will have his children and bring these two family together."

"Is that all I am to you and She-De-- Madam? A baby making thing? Is that all my mother was to you?"

"You will do as I say or I will kick you out of this family!"

"Kick me out then!"

"You-- "

"You want to sell your child for self gain then might as well pawn me off to the royal family! Why stop at the Prime Minister's?!"

"You indecent wench!" Father rushes to slap me across my face.

I see his movements faster and evade to the side with his fingertips just scratching the surface of my left cheek.

"Men!" He calls for his servants from outside the study. Two enter and await his orders. "Lock her up in the storage room until the day of her wedding!"

I don't care to beg as the servants each grab me by the arm and drag me to the storage room.

It is dark and cold in this room. The room where my mother gave birth to me. It's also the room where she died.

Loose straws covers the concrete floor. I sit down on a pile and tried to calm myself because at this point I was going to scream at this injustice. Even if that man is my father in this lifetime, I'm not above teaching him a lesson!

Parents are supposed to cherish their children with proper discipline and appropriate support. I haven't really been able to experience that in most of my lifetimes.

"If he thinks I'm going to let him keep me in here for a month then he's got another thing coming!" I shout.

A week went by, and I stayed captive that miserable room. I'm sure my father has people watching Nanny Ma and Chuju in case they were planning on visiting me.

Finally one late at night, I see a small shadow with quiet steps.

"Young Miss."

"Chuju!"

"Young Miss, are you hurt?"

"I'm fine, but incredibly hungry."

"They don't feed you?!"

"I'm only given one meal a day, so I'm starving."

"Here. I brought you some bread." She sneaks the bundle in between the wooden poles of the window.