Ch.1 The Mail

Pooja's P.O.V

I was sitting in my room with my laptop on my lap while leaning into the couch and going through my mails. Most of them were office related and I kept on replying to one after the other. Feeling quite stressed out I get up with my laptop in one hand and walk to the dining table in kitchen where dad sat with his laptop and typing away something. Setting the laptop on the table I ask him if he needs some coffee to which he nods yes.

I was coming back holding two mugs of coffee while a 'bing' sound rang through my silent room indicating I just received an inbox mail. I hand dad his coffee and sit opposite him and continue to type my reply which was half done when I was in my room. Completing it I start checking my inbox for the new mail. Seeing the sender address I debate whether to open the mail now or not. Suddenly feeling like all my energy was sucked out of me, i close the laptop and go back to my room to check on my daughter.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

I sat my two year old daughter, Esha, on the dining table with her milk bottle in her hand while I sit next to her and have my breakfast. Dad had already left after having his breakfast. I am mostly free today except for a meeting at 3 in the afternoon and it was only 8 now. I decide to take Esha to the park as well as buy some grocery, before heading to the office.

As I walk to the office building, Esha starts clapping her hands. She is just too adorable, jet black straight hair with two cute ponies on top on each side, big honey coloured eyes, thin lips and small white milkteeth and big cheeks. From the day I had her in my hands I always bring her to my office even if it was a hectic day. I had already set a small play pen for her in my office along with a customised cradle, her baby food and a couple of her dresses and shoes. I hate the idea of leaving her with a babysitter. When I have meetings to attend to I usually have it in the next room and there is no problem in watching her since the whole office has see through glass walls and doors. She is a quiet little girl and never troubles me when I'm busy. Guess she knows her mom really well.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Meeting with the client had gone well even though we had to sit for like 3 hours. Sometimes knowing what your client wishes to have, Event Management can get a bit handful. Though I had worked for a year or so years back in another firm, it's only been two years since I have been thoroughly working in this field under dad, and dad says I have been doing great for a beginner. And now he even wants me to take over the company in a year or two. And when you ask what his excuse is, he needs time to bond with his grandchild.

I reach home after my meeting only to notice dad hasn't reached home yet. Esha had already slept in the car so I lay her in the bed and go freshen up and start preparing dinner when I hear the front door openingand closing.

"Here, in the kitchen...", I call out. I could hear him setting his bag and keys in the living room and him walking to the kitchen.

"How did the meeting go princess?", he asks ruffling my hair and I scrunch my face rolling my eyes up to look at my hair, to which he laughs and leans onto the counter behind him.

"They are happy with the our planning except for a few which we cleared up. Now all that needs to be done is execute it tomorrow..........", I go on rambling about what I did and what is to be done and what not even though knowing he is only listening to half of what I say.

"You are just like your mother. She'd be very proud of you.", he tells with a sad smile but he suddenly looks somewhere else, when I look back at him, not letting me to see his teary eyes.

There is an uncomfortable silence suddenly in the room and I can hear him walking out of the kitchen back to his room. I complete making the dinner and set it on the dining table. I rethink on calling him to have dinner now and wait for him to gather himself. I check on my daughter and then go to the living room and sit on the sofa and close my eyes. Every time I do this the same thing starts replaying in my mind like someone has inserted a CD in my mind. My past isn't something I wish to recollect every freaking minute, but now this just reminded me about something else. The mail I received morning.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Dad and I had the dinner just like the kitchen incident hadn't occurred. We were bickering back and forth about politics, some tv shows, gossiping about celebrities, our own employees and what not and had already finished the dinner and was cleaning the kitchen, when he suddenly started talking about the next project he wanted to assign me.

"So.. I had a meeting with a new client today.", I became all ears when his tone turned serious, "they have this engagement and marriage that they want us to help with for the next five to six months. Everything including venue where the marriage is to be held is left for us to decide, they will be just pooling the money needed.", Dad laughs at my confused expression. But seriously whose this crazy to let a stranger plan a marriage in their family. "I know what you are thinking, but what is even more weird is that they asked specially for you."

Shocked would be an understatement. Usually clients come asking for dad, because he was like the king in this industry, where even the rivals even looked up to him. He was always put in spotlight when a project was completed because no one could predict what wheels were turning in his head. Although he wanted me and my daughter to be besides him whenever the paparazzi asked about his family, I never gave an opportunity for anyone to notice me as 'the Shaheed Khan's' daughter or even my baby because she's still so small to be put in spotlight and attract unwanted attention. So something didn't add up when they specially asked for me.

"Do you know them?", I ask dad to which he nods yes very slowly. I stay quiet and complete what I was doing. It was already 11, I was drinking water and dad was going to sleep when I ask the next question hoping that later I wouldn't regret asking him, "Who is it dad?"

"Arjun.", and just like that the glass slips from hand.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

I was sitting cross legged on my bed, next to my daughter, staring at my laptop in front of me, thinking whether or not to open the mail. Better to get everything over at once right. I click on the mail and start going through it.

Dearest cupcake, just by reading that nickname my eyes start burning.

I know you have been skipping this mail till the end of the day, and I understand why. I'm sorry really sorry for not being there for you. I had to send this mail earlier but I have been typing and retyping this same mail everyday for more than the past two years. I don't know if you would even read the full mail, and all I have to say is please Pooja please come back.

I know Pooja none of us were there for you when you needed us the most. F*k! I don't even know where you are, how you are doing, nothing. I can't help but feel like it was all my fault that you left that day. Pooja I miss you....I miss you sissy I miss you so much.

Pooja I need you here with me. Not just me but my baby needs his godmother to be there when he grows up. I'm due in two months Pooja. You can't miss being there in my baby's life. Also...... It's Trisha's and Tani's engagement next month. You know how much they both adore you. Everyone has been talking about calling you but you seem to be vanished into thin air since the night you left. We all know ma knows where you are but she just keeps quiet or walks away when we ask about you. And Arjun has been trying to get to you. He's a mess Pooja. He might not admit it but only you can bring Arjun back.

Please stop pushing us away dear. We all need you here with us. Just try giving everyone a chance. One more chance. I know I'm asking more than what you can give. But please try.

Love you the most.
Megha

I close and keep the laptop aside, and lay on my bed hugging my daughter's small figure close to me thinking about the mail, Arjun, Ma, Megha, and everything that happened four years back............

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

***********************************

Enjoy reading........