Sweet Creature (I)

"Once in a while when I wake up, I find myself crying. The dream I must have had I can never recall. But the sensation that I've lost something lingers for a long time after I wake up, I'm always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think from that day when the stars came falling. It was almost as if a scene from a dream. Nothing more, nothing less than a beautiful view."

- Mitsuha and Taki, Kimi no Na wa (Your Name)

**********

It was that familiar feeling –one second you were floating, arms and legs suspended, relaxed on water like you were in the middle of the ocean, and in the next second, it was as if you were pulled out to the surface, whole body jerking, choking in a gasp.

Then you wake up.

His eyes flashed open, gasping for breath, as he recognized the familiar, dull pain in his chest, his whole body shaking. Not with cold, no. He could feel the streaks of tears at the side of his eyes, and realized that once again, he has been crying in his sleep. His throat felt so tight at the suppressed sobs, and he had to take a breath to calm himself, his eyes unfocused towards the ceiling.

He closed his eyes, causing the last batch of tears to fall, before raking his hand through his hair and grasping his roots out of frustration. As usual, he couldn't remember any dream, he couldn't remember why he's crying.

This has been happening for years now.

He willed himself into a steady breath, and that's when he was able to register the melancholic, soft pit-patter of the rain on his window sill, the sound of the outpour was a soothing white noise in the background. He tried to relax some more, freeing his mind for the probability of remembering his dream. But to no avail.

It felt like his chest caved in at the memory he couldn't remember, and yet his heart jumped at the familiarity of a certain feeling. A feeling that he once experienced, remnants of it residing in his heart but no images of it in his mind.

The soft creaking of his bedroom door took him out of his thoughts, and silently he wiped his eyes and took a deep, calming breath as he listened to her footsteps against the floor. He had to put up a front; she had always been so perceptive. He could feel his bed dip slightly due to her weight, and after a second, her sleepy, big, bright eyes met his.

And as usual, he felt better, somehow.

She didn't say anything but immediately tucked her tiny body against his chest, one arm over the neck of her bunny stuffed toy.

"Daddy, were you crying again?" the little girl asked in her tiny, raspy, voice as she pressed her cheek against his chest, hugging him as if in comfort.

Sean Lew could only sigh. As much as he wanted to deny his daughter's speculation, he had just been teaching her to being truthful in all times and he knew he had to walk the talk.

"Just a nightmare, baby," he admitted, his fingers playing with her short curls.

"Adults have nightmares, too?" she asked curiously.

"Anyone can have nightmares, baby," he explained simply.

He could feel his daughter press to him tightly, rubbing her cheek over his heart. "I never had a nightmare. What do I need to make you feel better, daddy?"

Sean smiled sadly, looping his long arms around her small body and drawing her near if it was physically possible, burying the side of his face to the bush of her curls.

"Your power hug can already take away my sadness, princess. But it's not enough." The little girl snapped her head up to look at him, and he was met by clear, doe eyes. He flashed her his dimpled grin. "Daddy needs her princess' kiss."