Family Tree

Dear Diary,

Today I will smile and I won't let
myself get annoyed or cry let anyone
get to me. I will be strong. I am strong.

-Yours Truly Scarlett

• • • • Scarlett POV • • • •
The Tv is on, the news is playing.

"To repeat, the animal terrorizing Mystic Falls has been caught." The news guys says

"Scum ball. Scum bucket." Aunt Jenna says.

"Who are you talking to?" I ask.

"Him," she says.

"The news guy?" E asks.

"Also known as Logan "Scum" Fell. Did your mom ever tell you guys why I moved away from Mystic Falls?" Jeanna asks.

"Oh, no way. You and him? He's cute." E says.

"He is not cute. There's nothing cute about him. What are you doing with that?" Jenna says.

"I went yesterday and got it from the safe deposit box. Mom had told Mrs. Lockwood, she would loan it to the founder's council for their heritage display." I say.

"Is that grandma Beth's wedding ring?" Elena asks.

"Originally it was great-great-grandma Mary's wedding ring." Jenna asks.

"How much do you think this stuff is worth? You know, like on eBay?"Jer asks.

"You're not gonna find out," I said, taking a sip of my coffee.

"That stuff is mom and dads. You can't just give it away." Jer says.

"We're not giving it away. It's called a loan, Jeremy." E says.

• • • • No one's POV •    •    •    •

"I didn't know you were here," Zach says.

"Just going through Stefan's homework. Boy, this country sure has dumbed down in the last hundred years. Why he wants to go to high school is beyond me. I mean, in the seventies, he went Ivy League. Harvard, I understood. Actually, no. I didn't get that either. Go ahead, purge. Get it out. What's on your mind?" Damon says.

"Why are you here, Damon?" Zach asks.

"To spend time with you, Zach. Family's important." Damon says.

"I know you. You always have a motive. So tell me, what is it this time?" Zach states. Damon gets up and grabs Zach by the throat.

"You are in no position to question me." Damon states.

"I didn't mean to upset you," Zach says.

"This is not upset, Zach," Damon says.

"What's going on?" Stefan questions. Damon drops Zach.

"Having a family moment, Stefan. Spending some quality time." Damon says.

"Hey, are you okay?" Stefan asks.

"No, I'm not. And neither are you. How many more people have to die before you see that?" Zach says.

"I see it. All right, Zach, I see it." Stefan says.

"Then why aren't you doing anything about it?" Zach says.

"I can't, Zach. I can't. It would take human blood. It's the only way that I could stop him, and I can't do that." Stefan says.