Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Lyv couldn't let go of Jai as they walked the short distance to the captain's quarters. She recognized all the voices coming from inside, all except one. It was familiar, but the last time she'd heard it, she was underwater.

"Are you all right to be with everyone again?" Jai asked her, leaning over to press a kiss to the side of her head. "Up on deck, it seemed like that was the trigger for you..."

"I'm all right," she nodded, giving him a hesitant smile.

And she was. With Jai's magic helping her control the darkness within her, it was easier for her to focus on more important things, like being with her family again. Getting to tell him about it also...that was a weight lifted off her she didn't even realize was there. She could breathe again, could think without worrying about giving away too much to the one male who knew everything.

She still made sure to cover her forearm with her sleeve, though, hiding the stone beneath her skin.

Lyv and Jai were met with silence when the door opened, all eyes on them.

There were two seats open between Gideon and Allel at the circular table in the center of the room. Thia was on Gideon's other side and Kalla on Allel's, but another female sat between them.

Lyv recognized her as the mermaid who saved her beneath the waves of the Whelm. Now that she had a proper look at her, she could see the crown of coral and pearl was weaved in and out of her silver hair. She wore a thin white dress that outlined her body, showing legs instead of the tail she'd had underwater. Sharp blue eyes met Lyv's and held, intimidating and lethal to anyone else who met them...until she smiled.

Jai led her over to the table, seating her in the chair next to Gideon. Her oath-sworn warrior and brother gave her a wavering smile as he reached for her hand, lifting it up to his mouth to kiss.

"Hi," Lyv smiled at him.

"How are you doing? Are you all right?" Gideon asked, his voice shaking slightly. "I just..."

"I'm all right, Gideon...though I missed my overprotective brother just as much as he missed me," she told him.

Thia reached for her then, moving Gideon out of the way as she squeezed her hand. Of course, he complained that Thia was stealing Lyv away from him, but both females just rolled their eyes. When they both turned their attentions on him, though...well, he leaned back and basked in it.

Lyv's laughter had Jai smiling when she finally looked back over at him just as their dinners were brought in and set on the table. Not having a proper meal in so long, Lyv knew she needed to go slow, even though the chicken, vegetables, bread, and wine all looked amazing. Small bites. That's all she could manage as it hit her hollow stomach.

Which then churned when she saw the mermaid had a plate of raw fish in front of her.

"I guess it's up to me to make the proper introductions," Kalla nodded, looking between the two of them. "Lyv, may I introduce Princess Serena. Serena, Crown Princess Alyvia, Heir of Asturia, and mate of Jai."

The mermaid's eyes sparkled as she lifted her glass to her lips. "She bares the mark of the Deverell's, so there is no need for introduction to me. We are distant family, are we not? But still, it is great to meet you, Crown Princess Alyvia."

Lyv nodded back to her. "Nice to meet you, too, Princess Serena. And just call me Lyv."

Another smile met her from over the rim of Serena's glass. "Then you may call me Serena."