I'm Here Now

Before I even opened my eyes, I was aware of two things: the awful pounding in my head and something smooth under my hands. I forced my eyes open just a little bit and recognized the high ceilings of the synagogue. Then, a wonderfully familiar voice.

"Dad! She's awake!"

"S...Stan?" I managed to ask, turning my head to the side so that I could see him.

"Yeah, (y/n), it's me. I'm here now." He said and I felt him grab my hand, "How are you feeling?"

"Not good, Stanley." I said, my voice was all hoarse and scratchy.

"Right, that makes a lot of sense. But, do you think you need to go to the hospital?" He asked, helping me sit up.

"I don't wanna go to the hospital." I shook my head. I'd have to tell them what happened, and I really don't feel like talking about it right now.

"I know you don't want to go, but you might have a concussion and that's pretty serious, (y/n)." Stan said, sitting next to me on the pew.

"Stan, please I'm fine." I shook my head, becoming very aware of the throbbing pain in the back of my head.

"You're not fine, you were almost..." His eyebrows furrowed together and he bit his bottom lip, "Just answer some questions for me, okay?"

"Okay."

"Are you feeling nauseous, like you might throw up?" He asked.

"No."

"Okay, um are you tired? Do you feel like you need to go to sleep right now?"

"No."

"What's the capital of Maine?"

"What?"

"The capital of Maine, what is it?"

"Augusta, why does that matter?"

"Because if you had a concussion then you might not be able to think straight." Stan rolled his eyes as if I should just know these things.

"Stanley, she doesn't have a concussion. She'll be alright." I looked up to see Stan's dad looking down at us from upstairs.

"I'm just worried about her, okay? Stuff like this doesn't happen often around here." Stan shrugged.

"I appreciate it, Stan, but you're kinda acting like Eddie's mom." I smiled over at him.

"Shut up, I am not." He rolled his eyes.

"Anyway, we'll take you home and you can go to the police in the morning-" Stan's dad started.

"Actually, Mr. Uris, if you don't mind, I'd like to stay at your house tonight." I said, glancing over at Stan's almost shocked face.

"Why is that?" Mr. Uris asked, making his way down the stairs.

"I'm not on good speaking terms with my brother, and my parents don't know I left the house." I took a deep breath, "I just down feel like being yelled at or being alone tonight."

Mr. Uris took a moment, thinking it over. In fact, he took so long that I thought he might say no.

"That's fine with me, (y/n)." He nodded finally.

"Wait, really?" Stan asked, quickly turning yo his father but not before I saw the flush on his cheeks.

"Yes, really. She can borrow some of your clothes since her dress has been ruined and we'll take her home in the morning." He smiled, gently resting a hand on my shoulder.

"Thank you, sir." I nodded, happy I wouldn't have to deal with my family for once.

"You're very welcome, it's been a while since you've spent the night. I think it's long overdue."