Little do you know

The moment she walked into the reception hall, his blood heated like it always did as soon as he laid eyes on her. His fingers itched to run over the umber of her skin, to wind one of the bountiful curls that escaped her updo around his finger.

Fighting the urge, he stayed at his end of the room and simply watched her. He couldn't deny a spark of joy at the realization she'd come alone.

Despite the high heels and dress that fluttered around her ankles in a glittering cloud, she glided over the polished wooden floor towards the newly-weds with a grace that caused his chest to tighten.

He lost all of her.

The soft smile. The sweet notes of her voice. The elegance embedded in every move she made. The way she looked at him from under her lashes and unleashed the butterflies in his stomach.

His best friend, the beaming groom, kissed her on the cheek. He watched her fall into the embrace of her own best friend, the stunning bride his friend had somehow ensnared.

This torture was self-inflicted, yet no less painful for it.

With every passing day, he'd slid deeper into the dark hole that had been his home for most of his life. When he'd met her, she'd lifted him out of the darkness and shown him the sunlit sky. He'd believed the pit he climbed out of was in his past, well and truly behind him.

How wrong he'd been.

At first, there were glimpses. A dark purple that lined the brightness she brought to his life.

Then there were days of heavy despair, but the next morning always brought solace.

When the darkness crept in and tainted their lives for weeks on end, he knew he'd have to end it.

He was the red wine stain on the white carpet of her joy. He was the cloud blocking the sun she brought into everyone's lives.

She'd never have left him. Not when he needed her most.

She knew him too well to believe his lies, so he didn't give her any reasons when he left.

When she kept asking why, he used her insecurity to end the questions and begged the ex-girlfriend she'd always been wary of to take him back.

The first time he'd shown up with his new/old girlfriend, the love of his life had shattered in front of him. As did his heart, once more.

He swallowed back the urge to shake off the slim, pale hand currently on his forearm. He forced himself to stay standing when his legs wanted nothing more to run towards her or fold under the weight of his despair.

From the darkness, he watched her light.

If this was the only thing he did right, it would be enough.

To have her find happiness.

Even if it meant he'd have to watch from afar.

It was enough.