Chapter 31

William's P.O.V AGAIN

I feel my lips tug upwards slightly as my eyes dance around the familiar space that was bright with colors that seemed to bounce off the walls. Records, both new and old, stacked throughout shelves while others hung off the walls like the trophies they were.

Even though my time was short, I managed to grow an attachment to the space that brightened my dull landscapes when things were still so fragile. A safe space that Blue shared with me, one where I didn't feel so... damaged.

"Are you going to cry?" Blue asks as he shuffles his way out the back room, turning the close the door behind him as he glances at me from over his shoulder. "Please don't, I despise tears."

"I should be asking you that," I reply with a smirk as I make my way to the familiar counter I was usually on the other side of. "I wouldn't want you breaking down from the loss of your favorite employee."

"You're my only employee," He deadpans as he makes his way to the draws beneath the register, grunting as he bent down. "Which makes you the worst employee as well."

"I like to keep things balanced." I retort as I lean against the smooth, wooden top.

Blue digs around the draw for a moment before straightening with an envelope in one hand and a small black box in the other, a perfect red bow sealing it. My playful grin slips as I stare down at the box before glancing up at Blue who was smiling kindly.

"This is your last paycheck." He says as he slides the envelope across to me. "Plus a little something extra to say thank you for being such a wonderful, hardworking young man."

"T-Thank you." I stammer as I let my fingers brush across the envelope, sadness digging itself through my chest as the realization that this was my last day working at Blue's.

I hadn't intended to quit my job just because I was going with Damon to meet his family and pack. The plan was to visit and return, but the more Damon shared with me, the clearer it became that Damon had no intention of coming back.

He planned to stay if things went the way we hoped they would.

I didn't know how I felt about that part and Damon understood that only requesting that I stayed with him for as long as I wanted to or was comfortable too. There was no way I was throwing Damon into the ring before leaving him on his own, so the only option was to quit with the stay's period being unknown.

Blue wasn't happy to hear I'd be going for some time, but he didn't argue.

"Now this is a little gift from Nancy and me." Blue continues with reference to his all-too sweet wife who had the best habit of distributing hugs whenever she could. "Something to remember us and the shop by."

"You didn't have to do this," I state as he holds the box out for me, shaking it a little when I didn't take it immediately.

"I know, but I wanted to." He says, eyes softening. "Nancy picked it out, so don't break her heart but not taking it."

I study him for another moment before I let my fingers take hold of the suede box that brushed my fingertips. I almost felt bad for pulling at one side of the red bow, hating that I had to alter such a picture, perfect site.

"Stop cradling the thing like a baby and open it." Blue demands after somehow reading my thoughts.

I send him a quick glare before I let the bow unravel and slip down into a perfect pile on the counter. My eyes dart up to him once more as I push the lid up the box, allowing it to snap up with a small pop.

My lips part as I sunk in a lungful of air, eyes glued to the beautiful, steel bracelet that rested inside, almost shimmering in its place. I let my eyes pull up to look at Blue, disbelief definitely was written all over my face, but he only smiled a little as he pointed back to the box.