16. Y/N Black

Y/N's POV

I froze, Harry was frozen as well. I didn't expect him to be ok, he had just found out that Sirius Black, my real father, betrayed his mother and father and was the reason they died. I had never been angrier at myself.

Hermione and Ron looked at us, not knowing what to say. I hoped that Ron wouldn't treat me as badly as he did when he found out I was Voldemort's grandson. I stormed out the Three Broomsticks and kept on walking until I found somewhere deserted.

I sat down on a nearby rock and I just broke down, reality had become too much. Months ago I had found out that I was Voldemort's grandson and now I find out that I am Azkaban's serial killer escapee Sirius Black's son. I could hear Harry join me minutes later, angry at the news.

"You're not mad at me are you Harry?" I asked tentatively.

He shook his head. "Of course I'm not Y/N. You're one of my best friends, you don't choose who you're related to. I'm just angry at how he betrayed my parents."

I nodded. "I understand, it's all a lot to take in."

The two of us sat there until Hermione and Ron found us.

"Harry?" said Ron's voice uncertainly.

"Y/N?" said Hermione's timid voice.

We ignored them. A million thoughts raced through my mind and my first instinct was that I wanted to confront Black. I wanted him to be locked up. He was my father but he had done unforgivable things that I wasn't sure I even wanted him to be my father. At the beginning of the year, I was so intent on finding out who my real family was but now that I knew I wish I never found out. I still didn't know who my mother was though, all I know was that Voldemort murdered her, was Black there? Did he let her die? I had so many unanswered questions.

When Ron and Hermione had to leave to go back to the castle, me and Harry went back down to the cellar of Hogsmeade and back to school. The two of us went straight to our dormitory and didn't say another word.

I hadn't gotten to sleep until midnight. I had awoken to find the dormitory deserted. I dressed and gone down the spiral staircase to a common room that was completely empty except for Harry, who was sitting silently in a chair, Ron, who was eating some sweets, and Hermione, who had spread her homework over three tables.

"Where is everyone?" I asked.

"Gone! It's the first day of the holidays, remember?" said Ron who was watching Harry closely. "It's nearly lunchtime, I was going to come and wake you up in a minute."

I slumped into a chair next to the fire. The snow was still falling outside the windows. Crookshanks was spread out in front of the fire like a large, ginger rug.

"You really don't look well, you know," Hermione said, peering anxiously into my face.

"I'm fine," I said.

"Y/N, Harry, both of you listen," said Hermione, exchanging a look with Ron, "you both must be really upset about what we heard yesterday. But the thing is, you mustn't go doing anything stupid."

"Like what?" said Harry.

"Like trying to go after Black," said Ron sharply.

I could tell they had rehearsed this conversation. I didn't say anything.

"You won't, will you both?" said Hermione.

"Because Black's not worth dying for," said Ron.

I looked at them. They didn't seem to understand at all.

"D'you know what I see and hear every time a Dementor gets too near me?" Ron and Hermione shook their heads, "I can hear my mum screaming and pleading with Voldemort, Voldemort killed her after she refused to give me to her, I don't know what happened after but all I know was that my mum died and I survived. If you heard your mum screaming like that, just about to be killed, you wouldn't forget it in a hurry. And if you found out that your dad is a supporter of Voldemort and betrayed Harry's parents you won't forget that as well."

Harry shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

"There's nothing you can do!" said Hermione, looking stricken. "The Dementors will catch Black and he'll go back to Azkaban!"

"You heard what Fudge said. Black isn't affected by Azkaban like normal people are. It's not a punishment for him like it is for the others."

"So what are you saying?" said Ron, looking very tense. "You want to-to kill Black or something?"

"Don't be silly," said Hermione in a panicky voice, "Y/N doesn't want to kill anyone, do you, Y/N?"

Again, I didn't answer. I didn't know what I wanted to do. All I knew was that the idea of doing nothing was horrible.

"Malfoy knows," Harry said abruptly, "remember what he said to me in Potions? 'If it was me, I'd hunt him down myself...I'd want revenge.'"

"You're going to take Malfoy's advice instead of ours?" said Ron furiously. "Listen, you know what Pettigrew's mother got back after Black had finished with him? Dad told me, Pettigrew's finger in a box. That was the biggest bit of him they could find. Black's a madman, Harry, and he's dangerous-"

"Malfoy's dad must have told him," I said, ignoring Ron, "he was right in Voldemort's inner circle"

"Say You-Know-Who, will you?" interjected Ron angrily.

"-so obviously, the Malfoys knew Black was working for Voldemort-" I carried on.

"-and Malfoys would love to see you blown into about a million pieces, like Pettigrew! Get a grip. Malfoy's just hoping you'll get yourself killed before he has to play you at Quidditch."

"Y/N, Harry, please," said Hermione, her eyes now shining with tears, "please be sensible. Black did a terrible, terrible thing, but d-don't put yourself in danger, it's what Black wants...oh you'd both be playing right into Black's hands if you went looking for him. Your parents wouldn't want you to get hurt, would they? They'd never want you to go looking for Black!"

"I'll never know what they'd have wanted, because thanks to Black, I've never spoken to them," said Harry shortly.

"And also thanks to Black I haven't spoken to my real parents cause one's a murderer and the other's dead." I said plainly.

There was silence.

"Look," said Ron, obviously casting around for a change of subject, "it's the holidays! It's nearly Christmas! Let's-let's go down and see Hagrid. We haven't visited him for ages!"

"No!" said Hermione quickly. "They aren't supposed to leave the castle, Ron-"

"Yeah, let's go," said Harry, sitting up, "and I can ask him how come he never mentioned Black when he told me all about my parents!"

Further discussion of Sirius Black plainly wasn't what Ron had had in mind.

"Or we could have a game of chess," he said hastily, "or Gobstones. Percy left a set-"

"No, let's visit Hagrid," said Harry firmly.

I nodded and the four of us set off.