Chapter 31

Song: Ordinary People by John Legend

America's POV

Sunlight sneaked past the curtains, landing directly on my face. I tried to turn over and hide from it. I wasn't ready to wake up yet. Instead of ending up on my stomach, I was pressed up against a firm wall of muscle that was wearing a soft grey sweater.

Maxon.

I smiled as I admired him. His hair was tousled adorably and his eyelids fluttered with his dreams. His lips looked so inviting and I fought the urge to wake him up with a kiss. I used to do that all the time and I loved how surprised he was until he realized it was me and how happy he was when he finally did. I couldn't do it though. He just looked so peaceful. It would be wrong to pull him from that.

So I just watched him. I let my mind wander to before when he'd shown up here. I hadn't even known how to react. It's like my body couldn't decide if I should smile or cry, so it did nothing. Until he had started apologizing, I had thought he was here to tell me in person that he wanted to split up. It was probably the most heartbroken I'd ever felt. Then, when he started asking for me to take him back, my heart must've swelled to ten-times its regular size in joy. Finding out that he hadn't been unfaithful had just been icing on the cake.

Just thinking about it made my heart pound happily. I couldn't resist it anymore. I didn't kiss him on the lips, but I did place a gentle peck on his cheekbone. He only stirred a little bit and tugged at the blanket before settling. I giggled as he frowned in his sleep at almost waking up. I leaned in closer, so that I could talk into his ear.

"Maxon," I purred. I ran my fingers through his hair, propping myself up on one elbow. His eyes blinked open, revealing his gorgeous brown irises. He didn't say anything, but just stared into my eyes drowsily. Maxon ran his fingers along the curve of my face with the tips of his fingers. I shivered in response. That made him smile. I ran a hand down his chest slowly and the smile dropped. He closed his eyes and leaned into my hand. Maxon shuddered ever so slightly. It was my turn to smile now.

"Well, good morning to you, too," he mumbled, his voice still heavy with sleep. I chuckled and reached for his hand. He clasped my fingers in his and brought them to his mouth, kissing my knuckles. The expression in his eyes just melted my heart. I'd compared him to a puppy on more than one occasion and he always managed to live up to that. I had to refrain from "aw"-ing at him.

I played with our intertwined fingers, savoring even that small touch. "Did you sleep well?" I asked.

"As long as I'm in your arms, there will never be a bad night."

I laughed out loud at that. "You are really turning up the charm this morning, aren't you?"

He smiled flirtatiously at me. "I'm just making up for lost time."

Maxon started to lean in and I felt anxiety begin to bubble in my stomach. It was just a kiss. What was I so worried about? We had done this plenty of times. What made this any different? Why did I suddenly really not want to kiss him?

I was saved by the sudden clearing of a throat. Maxon became absolutely still and my gaze drifted upwards. I was met by the sight of Dad staring down at me, looking more than slightly sour. I pushed at Maxon's chest lightly, still watching my father. The only time I'd seen a similar expression on his face was when I was explaining what had happened between Maxon and I that had caused the fighting.

Maxon looked up and I swear it looked like he'd had the fear of God put into him. He scrambled to his feet, trying to smooth his shirt and fix his hair at the same time. "Uh, s-sir. I, uh," he attempted, stuttering like crazy. "Um, hello. Nothing, uh, happened. You know, if you were, hmm, wondering."