The House Party

Sage 10:30pm

Don't pick me up for the party.

Michael 10:31pm

I knew you'd back out at the last minute.

Sage 10:35pm

I have a ride.

Luke 10:35pm

???????????

I didn't respond as I took a seat on Ashton's bed, taking in the unfamiliar location. His bedroom walls were still white, meaning his mom didn't want him to paint them or he hadn't gotten around to painting them. Red rope lights were along the walls, giving his room a different kind of vibe. It was kind of cool, I could admit. Other than that, he was rather outdated with CD cases scattered all over his shelves. His clothes were still in cardboard boxes, a few of the boxes pouring out because he was digging through some of them to find the perfect outfit for Calum's party. I only settled for what I wore for dinner and threw on a pair of Converse because I barely even wanted to attend the party. I didn't have anyone to impress. Likely no one would notice I was there anyway. I had never attended one of Calum's infamous house parties. Partially because my mom didn't want me to go to them and partially because I knew I wouldn't have a good time around sloppy drunks that dry humped each other right before my eyes. I heard plenty of stories about his parties though. Our mascot Leo The Leopard always showed up to them in full costume, getting blow jobs from the girls who thought they were going to be the next Elizabeth's and Veronica's. Neither girl would ever stoop that low. The jocks always did a keg stand that ended in most of them throwing up on the floor and passing out because they were true lightweights. The partygoers also enjoyed playing silly preteen games as Spin the Bottle or Truth or Dare. Maybe someone had even gotten pregnant in one of twelve rooms in Calum's home.

"It's cool that we're neighbors. I was worried I'd have a hard time getting along with my neighbors." Ashton looked in the mirror as he finished button his shirt. He left a few buttons undone at the top to show off his chest, it gave his look a more casual feel since he was significantly overdressed for the occasion. Calum's party invitations also came with a dress code. Casual, but not too casual. And don't dress up because you'd stand out too much.

"Why are you wearing slacks?" I asked him. He looked like he was going to a casual wedding that still called for something a little dressier.

Ashton turned from the mirror to face me, giving me a look as if I was the stupid one. "I mean, the party is at the senators house. Why wouldn't I wear slacks?"

I knew better, so I snorted. "The senator won't even be home. Why else do you think Calum is having this party?"

"Well, where is Senator Hood?" The spot next to me on the bed sunk as Ashton took a seat next to me to start putting his shoes on.

"He went to D.C. for a few days." I threw myself back on his bed, resting my hands on my stomach. "Read an article or watch the news."

"So, no slacks?" Ashton looked at me from over his shoulder, full concern masking his face. Why were his fashion choices this serious? He seemed so insecure. I couldn't remember the last time I ever dress to make a good impression. It was such a pivotal time where everyone was learning to dress for themselves and not give a shit what others thought, but some of us were still weak and needed to discipline ourselves on that mentality. 

"It's your choice."

Then Ashton stood, offering me his hand to help me up. "You're sure that the senator will sleep well at night knowing someone's knackered converse have touched his precious marble floor?"