Chapter 33

AUTHOR     

Flashback
One Summer, Fourteen Years Ago.

"You must guide one hundred souls and wait for a thousand years."

Name: Jeon Y/N
Age: 9
Due date: 9 May 2005

The cause:
Die of drowning in the river after trying to pick up a storybook.

Was the message that written on the crumpled paper Yoongi just took out of his pocket.

The black-haired male in oddly all-black attire from head to toe just stared afar, looking at the girl he'll soon take her soul with. She was smiling brightly, running around with her same-aged friend on the grassy field.

Her sweet giggles filled the air. The summer breeze blew and tousled her hair softly. Her cheeks gleaming with pink. She was so pure and lively.

Oh, the irony, when that life across her face will soon disappear.

What a poor soul. Yoongi thought to himself.

The male was used to pick up an older soul, the one that lived long enough, the one who suffered long enough. But picking up a soul who barely taste bitter and sweet of this world?

This was his first to guide a child's soul and perhaps be the last one he has to take away.

She was his 100th soul.

Maybe the rumor was true.

Taking the 100th soul is the hardest task to do, they said. The 100th soul will test you.

Yoongi had always been a straight-A grim reaper, never once he failed on his duty.

Whether it's taking a vengeance soul from the most sinful one or even the saint soul from the kindest. No matter how hard the task was, never once he had hesitant. The grim reaper always had his way of finishing the task perfectly and on time.

Thus, the rumor he had heard just passed through his ears. He never gave too much thought on it.

Because for him, life and death are inseparable matters. Once a life born there will death to come.

So he never felt sorry for the soul he took. It's their fate sooner or later and it was simply his job to guide them to the place where they belonged.

But not until this day came.

For the very first time, he felt hesitant. For the very first time...

He felt sorry.

She was gone for a while—playing hide and seek with her friend who had this odd box-shaped smile across his face—when Yoongi came to approach the bag she left on the field.