Part 1: Runaway Idol

I just finished teaching my last class of the day so I check my phone immediately. It had been buzzing nonstop since the previous period I had to turn the "do not disturb" on. It's the fan club group chat, the boys probably announced or posted something. I find it odd because of the time difference, the girls are not usually active at this hour. I decide to put the phone back in my purse, gather my things, and go to the bus stop.

I check the group chat while waiting for the bus chat and there are 100+ messages, everyone is freaking out.

BigHit announcement?

Wait, who is missing?

I scroll up until I see the screenshot that started the mayhem. It's a Korean article saying sources close to BigHit have confirmed BTS leader RM quit the group. He apparently stormed out of the studio and hasn't been seen for two days. Another screenshot shows the BigHit official announcement denying this report but saying that BTS will take a short break.

Everyone is tagging me, asking if I heard something else since I'm in Korea. I tell them I don't know anything and that I just found out through them. Since I moved here, I've been so busy with my actual job that I don't have time to keep up with anything anymore.

I really hope Namjoon is okay. I send that to the chat and put my phone away. I have a headache. The bus is here.

I rest my head against the window, close my eyes, and start remembering when I met BTS about a year ago at a fan sign. It had only been months since I moved to Korea to teach and it was pure luck that I landed a fan sign ticket. Everyone knows the chances are extremely low so I didn't really have much hope, but it happened. Arguably, the best 30 seconds of my life.

Okay, it was probably more than 30 seconds but I was so excited I can't remember most of it. It felt like a hazy dream that was over before I had a chance to process it.

They were so surprised to see an international ARMY and it made me feel kind of special. But don't let that fool you, they make everyone feel special. I remember holding hands with Jimin while he was his usual flirty self. Jin's genuine and kind smile while speaking English to me. Yoongi's glowy skin and adorably full cheeks. Tae's shy face when I told him he was beautiful with my below elementary-level Korean. Jungkook's puppy eyes when I gave him the bracelet I made. J-hope closing his eyes when I touched his hair and yes, it was as soft as I imagined.

And Namjoon? All I remember is his voice: deep and raspy.

Eleonor? I've never heard that name before, I like it.

And his eyes, a gaze that pierces through your soul and forces you to look away. It makes me so mad that I can't remember any other little details, not even his dimples!!

I wonder if he kept my present? I gave him a little crab plushie key chain and a thank you letter that I wrote when BTS lyrics got me through existential crisis number 34...or was it 35? Probably both.

I open my eyes and sigh; one more stop to go.

I get out of the bus and walk to my apartment complex that's one block away. The afternoon air starts to hint that fall is coming, it feels nice. I can't wait for this dreadful summer to be over. I'm walking up the stairs when I notice someone sitting next to my door with a suitcase and a backpack on the side. I pause for a little bit and I even double-check the apartment number to make sure I didn't space out and went to another floor. It has happened before, don't judge me. I get a little closer to take a look at this person. He is wearing a black cap, a long-sleeves unbuttoned military green shirt with a white t-shirt underneath, light khaki pants, and chunky sneakers.

Ew khaki pants? No one wears those anymore, I mean other than...

"Eleonor! Focus" I bumble under my breath. And no, I don't talk to myself like that...I just think out loud.

Most of his face is covered by a hardcover book but I can tell he's Korean, a shocking discovery. I am amazed at my deductive skills; Sherlock Holmes would be proud! Anyways, he must have the wrong apartment. I am almost squatting next to the staircase rail so he won't see me. I back down a couple of steps and try to remember how to properly say "you're at the wrong place, my dude."

I fish my phone out of my purse and pull the translator app. I've been living in Korea for almost two years now and I've been studying so I can get by pretty well but I'm not completely fluent yet. I practice a couple of times and with the phone in hand, I go to confront the stranger.

"Excuse me, sir! You're in the wrong apartment." I said slowly, glancing at my phone to make sure I'm saying the right thing.

He looks up, marks the page by doubling the corner... who is this savage?!...and with a jump gets up.

Wow, this guy is tall!

"Eleonor, right? Ahh, I'm so glad you didn't move!"

The familiarity of his voice sends shivers down my spine, then everything clicks. The horrendous khaki pants, oversized shirt, the brown hair peeking from underneath his cap, the eyes like upside-down crescent moons, and....the dimples awaken by his wide smile.

"Oh my fucking god," I say.