Chapter Fifteen

Summer POV

I give Ryan a kiss goodbye as he began to make his way back to his parents house. I don't know what's so important for him to keep going back everyday, but I'm not going to question him.

"I'm gonna call you every hour, so you better pick up," Ryan reminds me.

"I know baby... you think things are gonna turn around for the better?" I ask him.

Ryan slumps and pulls me as close as possible. I relax in his arms and it hits me. As long as I have Ryan at the end of the day I'm going to be fine.

My heart makes an audible crack and I topple over. What is this? The pain overtakes my chest and I place my entire weight on Ryan.

"Summer what's wrong?" Ryan asks as he pushes me into the house.

"This feels like heartbreak," I whisper.

Ryan gasps as he helps me into the house. Placing me on the couch, Ryan lays a hand on my stomach and in that moment I regret the day I ever decided to get pregnant. I regret the night I allowed us to have sex without protection.

I regret the love Ryan and I shared.

"Get away from me Ryan." I push him away.

Ryan stared at me in shock as I stood and took heavy footsteps to the patio. Tears left paths on my cheeks as I sat on the porch swing and listened to the silence.

My lungs inhaled that sweet smell of pine and fresh air from the musk of trees like the first day I was here. Except there was no sun, no joy, no relaxation, no peace.

A sob breaks out of my throat announcing my defeat to the world. I wanted to run away and never return. Take a break from Ryan and his family and try to find myself.

I know Ryan has been doing all he can as a man to make this better for me, but as of right now I was stuck. My mind is too cloudy for judgement; even for the love of my life.

A knock at the door halts my tears. Making my way inside, my eyes catch sight of the black wolf. The one I deemed a friend.

He stared at me in sorrow before turning around and entering the bushes. Great. Even the animals hate me.

The knock beckons me once more and I trudge my way to the front door. I look around for Ryan, but it appeared he left for our room.

Opening the door, Lydia stood there anxiously. Rocking back and forth on her heels.

"Um, hi, I'm Lydia... the girl that was hugging your husband yesterday... I just wanted to come over and try to smooth things out between us," she speaks.

Soft laughter slipped through my lips as I leaned against the door. I'm feeling like death, I'm miserable, I'm thinking about leaving my one true love and yet here she is thinking the only problem I got was my hormonal overreaction.

"You're fine dear, it was just the hormones that was all. I've been having a... really bad time here and I don't think I can take much more," I confess.

Lydia frowns and takes a look at my stomach.

"Well, that's no good for the babies. What's been making your stay so stressful?" Lydia asks.

I could only sigh and welcome her into the house. It was going to be a long conversation

Ryan POV

"Where is he?" I growl as I march into my dads office.

"He went out on a run, what's wrong?" He asks looking worried for me.

"He dis something to Summer and I need to know what."

"Ryan are you sure it was your brother?"

"More than anything else I am sure," I huff, plopping down in a seat.

This has to be Xavier's fault. Summer has never pushed me away before. She has never looked me with regret before. Hell! Summer tries to live a life with no regrets and I've been helping her with that.

Though I never thought she would ever regret me.

The door opens and a sobbing Xavier walks into the room. I stare in shock as he falls into the chair and stares down at the floor.

Tears still pooling in his red eyes, his face stained with ones he already shed. He appeared heartbroken.

"Have you come to rub it in my face?" He asks.

I raise an eyebrow at him as he sniffs. I turn to dad who just sighs taking a look at Xavier.

"What are you talking about Xavier?" My dad asks.

Xavier turned to Dad then to me allowing me to see his red, puffy eyes fully. They swirled with more tears as he breaks down in front of us.

This was the first time I have ever seen him like this. My little brother was always strong no matter the situation.

"I... I don't know how she did it, but our bond." Xavier paused to inhale a shaky breath. "Our mate bond is broken."

How? The only way their bond could be broken is if Xavier himself broke it.

"Xavier I don't understand how could this happen?" Our dad asks.

"I don't know!" He yelled as he allowed his head to hit the desk.

I sigh and placed my hand on his back in support. I never knew a mate bond could effect somebody like this much. It was strong, but how could it be this strong? They barely spent five minutes together.

"Y'know, ever since we found out that Ryan's mate died before they could ever meet I searched constantly for my mate. I was scared that I would never see her face or fall in love with her... I had a vision for us. I wanted to fall in love at first sight, mate, and grow a family without our spark ever dying," Xavier confess.

And I took that away from him like how the universe took my mate away from me. I don't know her name, I don't how she looks, I never knew her. It wasn't until after my 13th birthday where I suddenly felt drained and empty.

It was my mother that told me what that meant. I spent so many of my years depressed after that. Hell, I didn't want to go on the trip to Miami. I wanted to stay in my room, like I have been for years. Yet, Xavier sudden enthusiasm convinced me to go.

I thought that meant he was going to find his mate. Not that I was going to accidentally steal her. Even though when we met it was like she shined a light in my dark world.

"Xavier... I love Summer... I'm in love with her, but if I could go back to that day and somehow convince you to come to the library with me or bring Summer to you I would have," I tell him.

"That no longer matters because she has declared her love for you... just do me a favor." Xavier looks me in the eyes as he whispers. "Protect her."

I nod my head as we stood and gave each other a hug. At the end of the day we are brothers and even though I can't right my wrong, I'll most definitely fulfill his last promise.