Chapter 23 - The Golden Ninja

Quick A/N

Hi! I didn't really follow the original plot line for this scene. So just be prepared for some canon inaccuracy lol

Enjoy!

...

LLOYD

"We've got to get Lloyd to the top!" Cole orders, while he and y/n are supporting me.

I want to tell them that I can get up there myself, that I don't need their help, but then I would be lying, and there's no time for that.

"Kai, go with them and buy them some time!" Zane instructs, as he shoots a couple warriors with an ice blast. "Jay and I will manage down here."

With y/n and Cole acting as my crutches, I begin to hop up the stairs. Kai follows our trail, blasting anything that comes towards us with fire.

Each of my steps is met with a grimace. I'm struggling to keep my head lifted. God, why does everything hurt so much? The fight with my father on the beach took a larger toll on me than I'm letting on.

"Come on, you can do this," y/n encourages, likely noticing the pain written on my face. "We're almost there."

"Uh, guys?" Kai says, sounding concerned. I try to turn my head, but I don't have the strength.

"Cole, keep going!" Y/n instructs, then ducks under my arm to go help Kai fend off whatever the problem is.

Y/N

"Uh, guys?" Kai says, sounding concerned.

I whip my head around, to see Kai being outnumbered.

"Cole, keep going!" I order, and run to help my teammate.

The two of us battle the stone warriors together, as Cole helps Lloyd up the steps. I try to focus on the fight, but my thoughts keep drifting to Lloyd, and how he looked so anguished as we tried to get him to the top. I wish I could take away all that pain from him and bring it upon myself.

I knock the last stone warrior off the steps with a blast of y/e, and rush back up to help Cole and Lloyd. As soon as I make it up there, Lloyd groans and collapses onto his knees.

He gasps for air, clutching his chest. Cole helps me get him onto his back. Lloyd scrunches his face as if he's being torn apart from the inside; something tells me his leg isn't problem.

With a careful slash of my weapon (your choice), I cut through Lloyd's gi, exposing his taped chest.

Cole and I gasp in shock. How could he hide all these injuries?

I hear a war cry, and turn to see Kai in need of my help again. I'm about to get up before Cole stops me.

"Stay with Lloyd," he orders.

"But—"

"I'll take care of this!" he exclaims, then joins Kai in fighting the warriors.

I don't argue. I turn my attention back to Lloyd.

His chest is covered in bruises, and there are multiple gashes everywhere. The fact that his gi wasn't torn prior to me cutting it implied that the cuts were pressure wounds.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I whispered, putting a hand on his forehead. No fever; thank goodness.

I glance up at the overlord, who's in full dragon form at the top of the building. I'm furious that he caused this much pain to Lloyd, and immediately wish I could be the one to fight him, not Lloyd, so I can make that horrible asshole pay.