Jonathan Byers x Reader

You and Jonathan had been dating for almost a year and everything was perfect. Since Jonathan was more on the quiet, reserved side, going out for big dates were a rare (but nice) occurrence, instead you stayed at one of your houses, watching films or listening to music or just talking nonsense for hours on end.

You loved Jonathan with all your heart, and you couldn't even begin to think of your life in Hawkins without him, and Jonathan felt the same. However, he always had this nagging in the back of his head that you were too good for him. He thought you deserved someone who could take you out all the time and afford to buy you nice gifts, and not force you to stay at home most of the time. These thoughts got stronger when a boy tried to ask you out at school and you politely declined, telling him you already had a boyfriend.

Even though it would break his heart to let you go, he thought it'd be better for you in the long run, and that you'd find someone better. So he decided he'd break it off with you soon.

The night came and you were round his house watching the newest Star Wars cassette that had been released, when he paused it suddenly.

"Why'd you stop it, Jon? We're getting to the good part." You said and playfully hit him on the chest before leaning further into his side. Jonathan moved you from his side and sat up, and worry etched your face.

"We need to talk (Y/N)..." he said quietly, avoiding your eyes.

Tears pricked at the corners of your eyes when you realised what this was - a break up.

"(Y/N)... you're the best person I've ever met which is why I don't think this can carry on. I'm holding you back from the life you deserve."

"Jon, wha-"

"You deserve somebody who can take you out on proper dates and who'll actually act like a couple with you in public, rather than someone who shies away from people and doesn't like pda."

"Jonathan..." you whispered as tears streamed down your face.

"You should be with someone who can show you how much you truly mean to them, who can buy you all the things a good boyfriend should and just all round be a better person to help you have a better future and I'm not that person and I'm so sor-"

He was cut off by you slapping him.

"Don't you dare say those things Jonathan Byers. Don't you dare." Your voiced cracked as you spoke. "You have been the perfect gentlemen this last year, and I couldn't ask for a better boyfriend."

"But (Y/N), I just can't gi-"

"Jonathan stop! Do you really think I'm that shallow that all I care about are material tokens of your affection. I'd take a small photo album of pictures you've taken of our relationship over a diamond ring any day. And I don't care if you don't like pda. I don't need everyone to know we're together, I just need you, everyone else can go screw themselves with their thoughts of us." You held your hand under his chin so he could see the genuine look on your face as you spoke.

"That's exactly my point, I tried to tell myself I was good enough, but it's hard when everyone else disagrees." He looked down again.

"What do you mean, Jonathan?"

"I see the way everyone looks at us. They all look at you as if to say 'why is she dating that creepy Byers boy?' and they're right. Why are you dating me? What do I have to offer you?" His voice broke as he spoke and you reached over and took his hands, he tried to pull away but you held on tighter.

"Jonathan, for Christ's sake. Do you really have to ask, have you seen the way I've looked at you for the past year, and for years before that. You have so much to offer me, Jon. You're the perfect gentleman, you're the sweetest person I've ever known. You're not like every other guy our age who've only ever cared about getting in my pants, you took the time to get to know me properly before you asked me out. Hell, we didn't even make out until at least like a month and a half into our relationship." You laughed as you said that last part, "And honestly, I don't know what I'd do without you Jonathan. You can't break up with me over something so trivial as this. I know exactly what I deserve, and it's you. 100%. You always have been and always will be."

There was silence for a minute or two before you spoke up again.

"You're not nearly as alone as you make yourself out to be, Jonathan. Yeah, everyone's always treated you like shit and like you don't belong. And even if you still don't feel like you belong, there's one place you'll always belong. Here." You took his hands and placed them over your heart when you said this. "When I first met you, I knew you were the one. We're one and the same, me and you. There's part of me in you and part of you in me, and I knew it the second we caught eyes in photography class that first time. We were like the missing piece to each other's puzzle. And if you can't see that, then I'm gonna have to work harder to show you just how much you mean to me. So no, I don't accept your break up."

It all got a bit too much and Jonathan broke down crying, you were quick to envelope him in a hug, running your fingers through his hair soothingly, until he calmed down. When you felt his breathing even out, you pulled away and wiped the tears from his cheeks, and straightened out his hair from where it had been messed up from rubbing against your shoulder.

You smiled lovingly at him, and he did the same back. You leant your forehead against his for a few seconds before leaving small kisses across his face, and rubbing small circles on the back of his neck.

"I love you, Jonathan Byers, and you are more than enough for me, and you deserve more love than I can possibly give you, but I'm sure as hell going to try and give you all my love." You leant forward and pressed a kiss to his lips, and he melted into it after a few seconds.

You broke apart and relaxed back into the cuddling position you'd been in earlier, but this time you were sat up, and Jonathan with leaning into your side and you had your arm wrapped around him, making him feel close and wanted.

Just before you started the movie again you quickly leant down and said "You're the Han to my Leia." Before giggling and Jonathan's little laugh made it worth it.

When the movie finished, you looked down to see Jonathan had fallen asleep. You edged away, without waking him up, to grab his camera and snap a quick picture of him. You noticed he looked genuinely happy, and you attributed it to this guilt he had that has now been lifted.

Credit: buckyodinson.tumblr.com