14 // questions

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
questions
•••

CHAPTER FOURTEENquestions•••

ɴᴏʟᴀɴ ᴍᴜʟʟᴇɴ

It was nearly two AM when I got home, yet my mom was still awake, waiting for me.

"Hey, honey. I just saw the music video," she said. "You did well. It was just a little weird."

Of course she didn't get it.

I just hummed in response, not really in the mood to talk. I just wanted to sleep.

I was already walking towards the stairs before she called me.

"Nolan, let's stay clear of music videos for a bit, okay?" she suggested. I just shrugged.

"Sure," I said. "Night."

"Goodnight."

I made my way upstairs, and just when I did, my phone buzzed. Must've been a text message, but I decided not to check it before I got ready to get to bed.

So after I brushed my teeth and changed into my pajamas, I grabbed my phone to find I've got a few texts. Most of them were Ava and Keith telling me the music video looks cool. Though there was one message that was Oakley.

He was so different from me.

Oakley:
Hey

I stared at it for way longer than I should've. It was late, was I supposed to reply? Would he be annoyed?

For goodness sake, he seemed kinda disappointed I never texted him. I probably should, shouldn't I?

I waited for a bit longer before I decided to send a hey back.

You:
Hey

Oakley:
I was wondering if maybe you'd wanna hang out? Next Saturday?

Why would be want to hang out with me? He barely knew me.

You:
What? Why?

Oakley:
I mean, you seem pretty cool and I was hoping to gain a new friend

Oakley:
I really only have one friend

Oakley:
And you kinda seem like a perfect match ;)

Oakley:
Or maybe I'm just lonely and desperate

I knew what the desperation felt like.

You:
I don't know...

I definitely had the time, I knew that much. But also, I didn't want to be some kind of replacement. I knew he was mad at Genevieve for that music video. I didn't completely understand what the argument was about, but I knew they both were annoyed with each other. I didn't want to be someone to fill her place while he was mad.

Oakley:
Please? :(

You:
Why me?

I didn't ask because I wanted to know. I really didn't care. I just wanted a reason to say no.

Oakley:
We've hung out before

Oakley:
I liked it. You're pretty cool.

Oakley:
Plus we had a great basis

Oakley:
You know a few things about me that I never told anyone

Oakley:
Give it a chance?

I was looking for a reason to say no, but I found a reason to say yes instead.

I knew how he felt like he was losing his passion. I knew how he didn't really know his story.

He knew how I got nervous around people.

Maybe it would be a good idea to become friends with the one person who knows one of my most vulnerable secrets.

But it also terrified me to tell him more. Not even Keith and Ava knew where it came from. They didn't even know how serious it was.

My mom had no clue at all.

But he knew how serious it was, and one day he'd be prompted to ask questions. Questions I had answers to, but never dared to voice out loud.

I was scared for the day that would happen. I wasn't sure if I'd ever be ready to talk about it.

But despite all that, I wanted to give him a chance, so I agreed.

You:
Okay.

Oakley:
Like, okay we'll hang out?

You:
Yeah, sure.

Oakley:
Hell yeah!

Oakley:
Come to the ice cream place at two

You:
Okay.

I left my phone on the bedside table and lied back on my bed. I was both anticipating and dreading that Saturday.

That entire week, I found myself thinking about it. The entire week it was hard to fall asleep.

•••

Author's note

It's actually hilarious how different this story is turning out from the first draft I had in my head lmfao.

I love it though.

Xxx,
Cara