18. The Firebolt

Y/N's POV

I was still excited about Hermione agreeing to go on a date with me to Hogsmeade, the next trip wasn't for a while but I was still excited, it was Christmas day and I was in my dormitory.

I opened all my presents and when I got to the last one, I was shocked at what it was.

"Who sent it to you?" said Ron in a hushed voice.

"Look and see if there's a card," said Harry.

Ron ripped apart the Firebolt's wrappings.

"Nothing! Blimey, who'd spend that much on you?"

"I'm not sure..." I said, feeling a bit stunned.

"I know," said Ron, controlling himself, "I know who it could've been, Lupin!"

"What?" said Harry, laughing at Ron. "Lupin? Listen, if he had this much gold, he'd be able to buy himself some new robes, let alone Y/N a new broom."

"Yeah, but he likes Y/N," said Ron, "and he was away when Y/N's Nimbus got smashed, and he might've heard about it and decided to visit Diagon Alley and get this for him-"

"I can't see Lupin affording something like this." I said.

Hermione had just entered our dormitory with Crookshanks. She dropped Crookshanks onto Seamus's empty bed and stared, open-mouthed, at the Firebolt.

"Oh, Y/N! Who sent you that?"

"No idea," I said, "there wasn't a card or anything with it."

To my surprise, Hermione did not appear either excited or intrigued by the news. On the contrary, her face fell, and she bit her lip.

"What's the matter with you?" asked Ron.

"I don't know," said Hermione slowly, "but it's a bit odd, isn't it? I mean, this is supposed to be quite a good broom, isn't it?"

Ron sighed exasperatedly. "It's the best broom there is, Hermione."

"So it must've been really expensive..."

"Probably cost more than all the Slytherins' brooms put together," said Ron happily.

"Well, who'd send Y/N something as expensive as that, and not even tell him they'd sent it?" said Hermione.

"My parents?" I said. "Maybe it's a surprise gift?"

"Whatever," said Ron, "let me have a go on it Y/N!"

"I don't think anyone should ride that broom just yet!" said Hermione shrilly.

Me, Harry and Ron looked at her.

"What d'you think Y/N's going to do with it, sweep the floor?" said Ron.

Hermione couldn't answer as Crookshanks had now lept at Ron, aiming for the Scabbers in Ron's pyjama pocket.

At lunchtime we went down to the Great Hall, to find that the House tables had been moved against the walls and that a single table, set for twelve, stood in the middle of the room. Professors Dumbledore, McGonagall, Snape, Sprout, and Flitwick were there, along with Filch, the caretaker. There were only three other students, two extremely nervous-looking first years and a sullen-faced Slytherin fifth year.

"Merry Christmas!" said Dumbledore as we approached the table. "As there are so few of us, it seemed foolish to use the House tables...sit down, sit down!"

We sat down side by side at the end of the table, when we finished, me, Harry and Ron got up to leave.

"Coming?" I asked Hermione.