↠Name Change- 031

"he was ready to go, but I wasn't ready to let go

"he was ready to go, but I wasn't ready to let go."

— N A M E C H A N G E —

Sage sat on a park bench in a tight, short dress with her hair up and a large envelope in her hands. It was almost seven in the morning, and joggers went passed her on their morning routine. "It's unsettling to me seeing you without a large dress and a crown." Sage turned around to a boy who looked just like her boyfriend. "Regulus!" Sage stood up and pulled Regulus into a tight hug.

The boy smiled and hugged her back. "I have everything you need! I have the fake birth certificate, the name change papers, the fake ID, and house keys," Sage went through the list with a smile. Sage opened the envelope and pulled out the birth certificate. "Your new name is Thomas Howell, you're from a wealthy English family and an only child. After your parents died a few months ago you sold all of your properties except for the small lakeside cabin. You graduated but aren't going to college because you have to run your father's company. Any more questions?"

Regulus stared at her. He couldn't believe this was real. "We'll go shopping in Muggle stores, get your clothes, food, drinks, toiletries, and whatever else you need. After that someone will pick us up, take us to my apartment, we'll get Sirius, and head over to your new place." Sage put the stuff back in the envelope and gave him a reassuring nod. Regulus pulled Sage into another hug and tried his best not to cry.

"Thank you," He whispered. Sage rubbed his softly and pulled away from his grasp. "We have to get moving, it won't be long before people start to realize they're staring at the Queen of England," The two laughed.

———

"There is no way in bloody hell I'm letting you get green and silver clothing of any kind!" Sage snatched the flannel from Regulus's hands. "But why?" He whined, then smirked and chuckled. He's been teasing her all morning about how she acts like a middle-aged mother. "Don't do that!" Sage pointed a finger at him. Regulus continued to chuckle under his breath causing Sage to huff and put the flannel back.

"So," Regulus started, "Have you told my brother about... Everything?" He hesitated. Sage chuckled, "Don't make it sound like we're having an affair... Yes, he knows. He was not happy with me at all, and possibly even angrier with you, but he knows you'll be safe and happy," Sag informed him as she pulled out a nice warm orange shirt in Regulus's size.

She smiled. "This will look good on you? Don't you think?" She held out the shirt for him to examine. Regulus took it and held it to his chest and made a face at Sage to make her laugh. His attempt was successful causing the young queen to slap his chest and take the shirt. "Yes? No?" She asked him. Regulus nodded his head in a yes motion and Sage put it in the basket.

———

Sage leaned against the wall outside of her apartment and watched a Regulus paced back-and-forth, fidgeting with his fingers anxiously. "Regulus, he's not going to hurt you. If anything he's going to hug the bloody hell out of you!" Sage exclaimed and took a step towards him. "I have to get you out of here by 4. It's 3 now and the house is almost 3 hours away," Regulus sighed and nodded hesitantly. "Okay, yeah... Let's do this I guess..." Sage gave him a reassuring smile and walked towards the door.

Sage pulled her keys out but before she could use them the door swung open. Standing there was Sirius, and on the couch was Jasper. Sirius looked over his girlfriend and to his little brother. "Come in," Sirius invited with a tight smile. Regulus walked passed Sage and took a good look at their apartment. The walls were a light grey and the room was filled gold, red, and black accents. "She has good taste," Regulus turned his head to say. "Yeah, she does. We had to paint it neutrals and light colors, and I know nothing about those," The two boys chuckled. 

"So this was why you were creepily close with my sister this year?" Jasper took a step towards Regulus with a grin. "Yeah, but I'm grateful for everything I got out of it." Regulus nodded. Jasper pulled him into a tight hug and patted his back. Regulus returned it. "If you need me, Reg, I always have my ways of leaving school, you got that?" Jasper told him. Regulus laughed and nodded again. "You're my brother, man," 

"And you're mine."

———

This was it. For however long this stupid war was wagging, Regulus Black was dead and Thomas Howell was thriving. But right now, it was time to say goodbye. Sage stood back and watched as the two brothers who had feuded all their lives get teary-eyed as they hugged each other for what could be the last time. Jasper stood next to his sister whipping away his tears. He knew he had already said his goodbyes, but for the Black brothers, it was like this was their first true hello and their only goodbye.

Sage grabbed her brother's hand and squeezed it three times. It was her turn to say goodbye. 

"Thank you, so much," Regulus choked out. "Oh, Reg," Sage pulled him into a tight hug and rubbed his back. "This is an opportunity. Take it by the neck and make it yours. Everything you've ever done has brought you here." Regulus started crying in Sage's embrace. "I don't care about them, just make me proud," She whispered in his ear.

"I will... Merlin, I promise I will."