Chapter 2

Cassidy's P.O.V.

The next morning, I woke up bright and early at 6 AM so I could get to the jet on time. Luckily, I normally woke up at about 8 and the jet was leaving at 7, so everyone would think I was still asleep. It was about 30 minutes before the jet was supposed to leave and there was still no sign of Jean. We had come up with a plan which required her to sneak me onto the plane. She would make sure to implant thoughts into Professor X's head to make sure he wouldn't check on me for the rest of the day. She was supposed to inform me if the plan was working or not, but so far nothing had come through. I was hiding behind the jet waiting for the X-men to arrive. I was going to fill them in on my plan as soon as they came to the jet and I was pretty certain they would be fine with it. Finally, Jean's voice echoed in my head.

"Operation 'Get Cassidy into the X-men' is a go!" She sounded confident and excited.

"Jean, I wouldn't go that far. I mean, I just want to prove that I can be helpful on missions," I replied, rolling my eyes playfully, a smile on my lips.

"Whatever you say." Jean chuckled.

I rolled my eyes again, but quickly ducked down when I heard footsteps coming towards the plane. Suddenly, a finger tapped me on the shoulder. I screamed and jumped up, ready to punch whoever just scared the crap out of me.

"Hey, relax. It's just me." Peter said, holding back laughter behind his smile.

I sighed, rolling my eyes for the third time in a row and playfully shoved his shoulder.

"Ow! What was that for?" He asked as he tenderly rubbed his shoulder, frowning at me.

"That was for scaring the crap out of me" I replied, frowning back, fighting to keep my smile back.

"OK fine, I'm sorry, I won't do it again." he said, raising his hands up in defeat

Peter has always been like an older brother to me. We always joke around with each other and he always stands by my side, even if he knows I'm wrong. Sometimes though, he can be very overprotective, like Uncle X. I was just hoping Peter wouldn't try to stop me from going on this mission.

"What are you doing here, anyway? Shouldn't you be on headset?" He asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

"New plan. I'm coming with you guys on this mission" I smiled, shrugging my shoulders as though it was no big deal.

He raised both his brows this time, pressing his lips together in a thin line, painting a look of confusion and concern on his face.

"Did Professor X approve of this? I mean, you know it's going to be really danger-" he didn't have time to finish his thought.

"Don't worry about me, Peter. I know how to take care of myself. I appreciate your concern, I really do, but I have everything under control. Besides, if things go well today, Uncle X might let me start training again." I said, cutting him off mid-sentence

"OK, but promise me you'll stay with either me or Jean the whole time. Alright?" He asked, extending his pinkie out to me.

"I promise." I sighed and linked pinkies with him.

There was nothing for Peter to worry about. Sure, it had been a few years since I had done any combat training but there was no way I had forgotten everything...right?

Peter and I then boarded the plane together and everyone's faces lit up when they saw me.

"Cassidy, did Professor X finally agree to let you come on a mission with us?" Jubilee asked as she ran up to me and hugged me.