Breathing

"Hey," murmured Daniel as he slid into the chair next to Reid at the lunch table. His hair was a mangled mess on the top of his head.

"Hey," Reid said smiling sideways at him keeping her gaze on her phone the best she could. She liked Daniel, not in an emotional way however, he was simply nice to look at. But finding anything human attracitive was strage for her, even if she was beginning to doubt that the Richard's were even human.

The night before Reid had spent the evening with Rebekah lounging on the plush sofa and watching movies. Daniel had come home later that evening and wasn't all that happy with Rebekah about Reid's presence in their home. However, after much debate on Rebekah's part, Daniel had eventually settled on the other side of the couch - next to Reid.

When Daniel had joined them, Reid suddenly lost interest in the movies and began to watch the slight irregular rise and fall of Daniel's chest. What started out as an excuse to stare at his ice blue eyes had turned into a chance to study him, study them.

She had been watching human for years and knew how they took in breath was not how Daniel was taking in breath now. As if it was a reflex and not a nessesity.

She moved her studies to Rebekah and the same sort of thing was happening, apart from few small differences. Beka seemed out of practice almost, as if she was just learning to breathe for the first time. She had watched the fingerlings attempt to breathe air before her world has gone to shit. The were awkward attempting it and so was Rebekah now. Or perhaps like she had forgotten. The rise and fall of her chest was far more spaced out and they consisted of more jerky movements. It was almost as if she would forget one moment and the next she would remember, like oxygen wasn't a necessity.

Rebekah had noticed Reid all too soon though and her attention was snapped back to the television. Rebekah had seemed slightly concerned then and Reid masked her curiosity with another mouthful of popcorn.

This started a new task in Reid's brain. After she had left the Richard's house she had assigned herself a little mission of sorts. Find out what was going on with the Richard's.

She told herself it could just be that they had a genetic defect that made their breathing patterns erratic but Reid knew that wasn't it. He head screamed at her that something was wrong with these two.

The only problem is that fact that Reid did not know much of the supernatural besides the creatures of the deep. Hell, she didn't even know if there were others even remotely like her. She knew it was possible but she didn't know for sure. And it wasn't like she had much to go on as of research. She needed more evidence, more clues.

She decided this while searching on her phone for answers and coming up with nothing. Shrugging she clicked the screen off and sighed.

"What's up?" Daniel asked looking concerned with Reid's expression.

"Oh nothing," Reid shrugged again. "Whats up?" Reid asked folding her hands on the table.

"Not much," Daniel said and Reid noticed that she could almost cut the awkward tension with her teeth.

"Nice," she replied trying to sound casual and, without her phone in front of her, she had nowhere to let her eyes rest. So she just starred off into the crowd of people in the cafeteria.

"And you?" Daniel asked looking to the side of Reid's face.

"Good," she said and looked to smile at him.

"Will you be joining us tonight?" Daniel asked. His wording made him appear far older...

"Joining you?" she replied confused.