Missing a Bear (Reader X Kenai)

Thanks to @spidermanismybae for requesting this oneshot, my apologies it's so late out! Hope you enjoy it none the less

So, so slowly I crept along the brush of the forest. That stupid village was shutting down for the night, it's fires being quenched and children being ushered to bed. Women finishing chores for the evening and men bringing home today's bounty.

I sighed, sitting down against a rock beside a Yew Tree. How depressing this life was, and yet all I knew was how to hunt and sew furs. What real use was I? If the shaman heard me speaking like this, I'm certain she'd give me a good talking too. A chuckle escaped me, I rested my head in my hands, sitting in the dark as the night rolled in.

The forest was quiet, usually so full of chatter, the animals kingdom was going to sleep. I sighed, it was so peaceful in there. Simple, and easy. None of these politics that everyone got caught up in. Just... simple. Survive, enjoy life and truly understand who you were. You played a purpose in the life of the forest.

"Y/N!?" I head my father calling in the distance, the bone necklace around his neck clicking as he walked around the village in search of me. My father, the chief, was very protective. Over protective many would say, but alas I didn't have much of a choice as I stood to go follow his voice. I used the rock as a balance to stand, but when I looked back I saw claw marks gashed across the stone face.

My brows furrowed, "Odd..." I whispered, shaking it off and walking towards father.
"Ah! Y/N, it's time for you to be in bed, you have a big day tomorrow after all." I mustered a smile, so fake it hurt. Tomorrow was my... wedding day.

The day two great tribes would be joined in harmony yada, yada, yada...

"Mhm, big day!..." I said ever so sarcastically, taking my fathers arm as we walked back to our tent. He chuckled, and begun to ramble on about tradition or something, but my mind was elsewhere. How in the name of hell was I supposed to marry a man I hadn't even met before!? It was sick and twisted, and I had no clue how to get out of it. I was helpless in this arrangement, no way of escaping. After all it was my... responsibility...

We walked by a grandmother telling her children the story of Kenai, The bear man. How after the tragedy of his brother dying at the paw of a mother bear, was sent mad and seeked vengeance. Once he had killed the mother bear, the spirits had become angry and transformed him into a bear in return for his actions. It was said he was still in the woods, some of the people here had been at his ceremony, but had only seen him once. I was there when his ceremony took place however. A year or two younger than him, I had watched the great bear stride in and take his place.

It had been a sight to behold.

Now, Kenai was a tribal fairytale. A children's bedtime story. It was amazing the way children's baited breath lured people to continue his story in angst. I smiled, at least they could believe in something bigger than reality.

Kenai and I, had been very close. Perhaps almost too close, causing others to become jealous. Me and Kenai had been... some would say, lovers. His immaturity back then had caused many fights between us, but still we had managed to find love within the troubles. When his brother died... the entire village was heartbroken. I had tried to prevent Kenai from leaving that night to hunt the mother bear- but he had refused to listen. Refused to hear logic, and in grief, I suppose I could understand. Before he had left, he had gifted me a handwoven bracelet, with his bear totem tied to the string.

I looked down at my wrist, pulling the fur sleeve up ever so slightly. It was still there, worn from years of wear and tear. A small smile came to my lips, memories of adolescence were bittersweet. But that, was certainly one of the better ones.