Chapter 23

Hiiiiiii! So I found that updating every monday is easier for me, so update will resume every Monday. So my office is all painted and almost done! Eeeek! I'm so excited! But now I got a bunch of stuff to get rid of, so I'll be having a garage sell soon. Yay!

Also, thanks for voting on my insta for whose chapter y'all wanted next (Tristen's chapter won the vote by landslide lol) and voting on who was your fave between Halvar and Malona (It was close but Malona won the vote).

As always, be sure to comment your love, vote and thanks for your support!

P.S. I'll be adding an asterisk next to the word you can find in the glossary if want clarification.

Enjoy~

____________________________________________________________________

Tristen

"Well, are you going to answer," Malone tilted her shaved head, "Prince Tristen?"

    I glared at the lieutenant of Eytheria. I raised my hands, "Red is–"

    A mer guard, Aleksi–who is from my home kingdom Atlantia–rushed in from the other side of the coral where he was keeping watch through the glass. "Prince!" He signed frantically. "They're bringing another mer in!"

    My question forgotten, I signed, "When?" My jaw clenched. More and more of my people were getting captured everyday. When will they stop...

    Aleksi signed, "They are bringing the mer in now–"

    A loud whirring boomed throughout the aquarium and we all immediately looked up. The glass dome that sat at the top of the aquarium began to open like flower petals blooming. The curved, convex glasses opened up and outwards, revealing a long sling, carried by pulley machine. I clenched my fists–my useless powerless fists.

    I quickly signed to the mers, ordering them, "Stay here." I nodded to Gale to follow me. We both swam to the opening. I wanted to get a closer look. Gale and I slowly popped our head of the water, enough to see and hear what was going on but without calling attention to us. The padded sling came down past the open glass dome to the opening of the aquarium. The machine operating the pulley made a loud clunking noise as it lowered the padded sling.

    A pair human workers–a man and a woman–opened the door to the opening of the aquarium and I jerked to hunker further in the water, but they didn't pay no mind to us. They were entirely focused on the new mer; they were bubbling with excitement. I caught the gist of their conversation.

"... Are you sure its mer?..."

"... I've never seen anything like it..."

    I wrinkled my forehead. Now just what did the humans manage to catch with the aid of the dark fays? I scrutinized the sling, trying to see the source of these humans' excitement. The sling was still slowly descending to the water of the aquarium. Someone wriggled in the tarp and long, dark hair hung long over the side of the sling.

    "It's awake!" The human woman gasped, "Do we need to sedate her again?"

    Shade, the dark fay, walked through the door and stood behind the pair of humans. "No, she's fine. She won't attack from the aquarium." Shade took out a walkie talkie and hit a button to speak, "Okay, you can release her."

    I ducked into the water and Gale followed in pursuit. We both swam out of the way for the newcomer as the sling dropped her. Curiosity and protectiveness burned within me. I wondered if I knew this mermaid...

    Whoosh.

    Bubbles and foam exploded; a figure trashed around disoriented and perhaps scared. The bubbles finally diminished, revealing the newcomer.