25. Buckbeak's Execution

Y/N's POV

"He sent me this," Hermione said, holding out the letter.

I took it. The parchment was damp, and enormous teardrops had smudged the ink so badly in places that it was very difficult to read.

Dear Hermione,
We lost.
I'm allowed to bring him back to Hogwarts. Execution date to be fixed.
Beaky has enjoyed London.
I won't forget all the help you gave us.
Hagrid

"They can't do this," I said, "they can't. Buckbeak isn't dangerous."

"Malfoy's dad's frightened the Committee into it." said Hermione, wiping her eyes. "You know what he's like. They're a bunch of old fools, and they were scared. There'll be an appeal, though, there always is. Only I can't see any hope...nothing will have changed."

"Yeah, it will," said Ron fiercely, "you won't have to do all the work alone this time, Hermione. I'll help."

"Oh, Ron!"

Hermione flung her arms around Ron's neck and broke down completely. Ron, looking quite terrified, patted her very awkwardly on the top of the head. Me and Harry chuckled slightly at Ron's awkwardness. Finally, Hermione drew away.

"Ron, I'm really, really sorry about Scabbers..." she sobbed.

"Oh, well he was old," said Ron, looking thoroughly relieved that she had let go of him, "and he was a bit useless. You never know, mum and dad might get me an owl now."

The new safety measures imposed on the students since Black's second break-in made it impossible for us to go and visit Hagrid in the evenings. Our only chance of talking to him was during Care of Magical Creatures lessons.

He seemed numb with shock at the verdict.

"S'all my fault. Got all tongue-tied. They was all sittin' there in black robes an' I kep' droppin' me notes and forgettin' all them dates yeh looked up fer me, Hermione. An' then Lucius Malfoy stood up an' said his bit, and the Committee jus' did exac'ly what he told 'em."

"There's still the appeal!" said Ron fiercely. "Don't give up yet, we're working on it!"

We finished our conversation with Hagrid and then made out way to Charms, where, surprisingly, Hermione didn't show up.

Hermione wasn't at lunch either. We had started to get slightly worried.

We passed the security trolls, gave the Fat Lady the password and scrambled through the portrait hole into the Common Room.

Hermione was sitting at a table, fast asleep, her head resting on an open Arithmancy book. We went to sit down by her side. I gently prodded her awake.

"Wh-what?" said Hermione, waking with a start and staring wildly around. "Is it time to go? Which lesson have we got now?"

"Divination, but it's not for another twenty minutes," I said, "Hermione, why didn't you come to Charms?"

"What? Oh no!" Hermione squeaked. "I forgot to go to Charms!"

"But how could you forget?" I said. "You were with us until we were right outside the classroom!"

"I don't believe it!" Hermione wailed. "Was Professor Flitwick angry? I lost track of things!"

"You know what, Hermione?" said Ron. "I reckon you're cracking up. You're trying to do too much."

"No, I'm not!" said Hermione, brushing her hair out of her eyes and staring hopelessly around for her bag. "I just made a mistake, that's all! I'd better go and see Professor Flitwick and say sorry, I'll see you in Divination!"