3 ♛ His Saviour

- Li Xun -

From a distance, a pair of light, hazel eyes stared back at him quietly. With a face concealed behind a mask, his saviour emanated a mysterious aura. Before Li Xun could snap out of his surprise, the figure turned his back on him and attempted to leave.

"Wait!" he called out. "Please wait."

His voice made the person stop in his tracks, but he made no move to turn around. Waiting for him to speak. As such, Li Xun could only convey his words of gratitude across the waters that separated them.

"Thank you for saving me. May I have your name?"

Silence answered him. With quiet footsteps, his saviour walked towards the shadows between the trees, vanishing into the darkness quietly.

As quickly as he had appeared, he was gone with the wind.

Confused by the events that had just happened, Li Xun turned back to his main task on hand – the Celestial Flower. He began plucking some flowers from the ground quickly. Pulling out a silk handkerchief from his pocket, he grimaced at how wet it was but what choice did he have? Shaking his head, he worked quickly and wrapped the flowers as neatly as possible.

Casting one last glance at the dead creature, he swam his way back to the riverbank and went back up the mountains to reunite with his bodyguards. Throughout the entire hike, he never met his saviour again. It was a shame, really. All he truly wanted was to express his utmost gratitude for saving him back there, especially when he was so close to ending up on Death's doorstep.

However, he had to tuck the image of his saviour to the back of his mind and set off to return to the palace on their horses. Even though he and his subordinates were overwhelmed with fatigue due to the long journey, they persevered in hopes of saving the Empress.

A week later, they arrived back at the palace. Li Xun presented the flower to the royal doctor — an old, but very wise man. He got to work immediately and in just two days, the medicine was concocted perfectly.

With the Emperor and Crown Prince in attendance, they fed it to the Empress immediately. The medicine was a wonder cure, and the colour soon returned to her cheeks. She had often retched blood, but that stopped too. In just a matter of days, she regained her vigour and was no longer bedridden. She could move around her room and even attend the court for gatherings. The significant improvement to her health surprised everyone.

To celebrate her recovery, a banquet was held.

On the throne, the Emperor rose to his feet. "My son," he addressed Li Xun in front of all his officials. "You have done well. Let us give you a toast to honour your achievement and congratulate your mother's good health."

Hearing praise from the Emperor himself was rare, which was why Li Xun was deeply moved. He knew the man since he was born. As the great ruler of the Celestial Empire with many ambitions and responsibilities, he was a cold man with few words.

It was always Li Xun's mother who taught him the way of life, whereas his father taught him war and politics. Nonetheless, she still loved his father and knew the many sides of him that Li Xun hadn't seen before. She would always tell her son that despite his father's harsh demeanour, he loved him very much.

"It's because he doesn't know how to express his love in words, my child. Please understand him."

Rising from his seat, Li Xun cleared his throat, held his head in high regard and lifted his cup towards the Emperor.

"Thank you, Father."

And then he downed the wine in a single gulp.

The rest of the night was spent listening to the musicians playing their instruments, the dancers performing their dance and drinking with the rest of the royal subjects. When the banquet finally ended, it had gone past midnight and everyone decided to retire to their bed chambers.

Back in his room, Li Xun laid on his bed, exhausted from his journey. But that didn't stop a smile forming on his face as he relished in the joy that his mother was saved and healthy now.

There was only one thing left on his mind which had perturbed him since the day of his return. The image of his saviour flickered through his mind again and again. Li Xun was indebted to him, and the thought of not repaying the favour would never allow him to rest in peace. After all, a good man ought to be rewarded for his good deeds.

Three days later, he set off on his horse again with his bodyguards but this time, he wasn't going because of the Celestial Flower. He was going for a completely different reason.

This time, he was determined to seek out the person who had saved his life.