xxix. her demise under the moonlight

chapter twenty-nine
her demise under the moonlight

✧ 

 BY THE TIME THEY HAD GOTTEN to the hospital, it was dark, and it was getting colder than it was in the afternoon, and the sun was no longer shining brightly over Hawkins, and the Moon was the source of light.

 The groups of kids and two young adults had run into the hospital, making a whole scene as they hurried to Mrs. Driscoll's room, Alex and Nancy leading the way. When they were about to pass the receptionist, the team was stopped when the lady had called them back. "Whoa whoa whoa! Excuse me! Where do you think you're going?"

 Nancy turned around, trying to play it cool. "Oh um. . . I was just going to visit my grandma again —" She wrapped an arm around Alex's shoulder, "— Mrs. Driscoll, remember? This is her neighbour, Alex Maguire — he was here last night and . . ." Nancy turned to everyone else, who stood behind her. "And this is. . . This my family,"

 They all waved, forcing smiles on their faces at the lady who stared at Lucas with an unconvinced look. He, however, just smiled and said, "Extended,"

 "I don't care who they are," the lady sighed, "you know the rules. Two visitors at a time."

 "Yeah but —"

 "Two!"

 Nancy huffed, pushing everyone to turn around and walk back to the waiting room. She held Jonathan's hand as she spoke to the kids. "You're going to stay here, okay? We'll give you a signal when we've let Mrs. Driscoll go, okay?"