Near The Conclusion

Still on Planet Earth...

Boboiboy's POV

"She's dead," the doctor dreadfully announces.

"But this wasn't supposed to happen!" I quickly argue, still not accepting it. "Yaya was still alive. She was still moving when I saw her, and-"

"I'm sorry, young man," he interrupts, shaking his head. "If only we were earlier, we all could've controlled her seizure. We could've saved her. But, due to the heavy blows, she unconsciously cracked her skull and one of its jagged parts pierced her hypothalamus. It's time to face the facts, Boboiboy. She... is still dead.

"Nurse Kay," he calls to another white coat. "Put her up inside the morgue and clean her up. Time of death: 8:13 pm."

She nods and whistles two more back ups to carry her lifeless body.

I will myself to carry Yaya instead of the assistant doctor, but something keeps on throbbing my heart harder and harder. Even if I clutch my chest, the anxious beats keep on going. It never stops. And so does the regrets.

If only we were earlier...

If only we were faster...

If only

"If only I had noticed it from the start," I mumble incoherently. "Then Yaya... Yaya..."

The hospital staff takes my Yaya away and the rest goes back to their business. I follow groggily behind one doctor like a dazed slug.

This... All of this is clearly my fault. One day we were all safe and, in the next horrible moments, everything begins to shatter altogether. I just left others to die and rot. They believed they could still be saved, but it never happened. All because I wasn't there for them.

I was supposed to be a hero for my friends, right? Right?

"Are you okay, boy?" the doctor in front of me asks. "You look sullen."

I blink and look around. I am already in front of a white sliding door with no identification sign hanged on it. The rest of the staff are behind the doctor and are eyeing me pitifully.

My lips force a tight but friendly smile. "I'm fine. Thank you for your concern."

His eyes blink in confusion, but then he just let the feeling pass by. "As per tradition of this hospital, we give everyone a one last time to see the body before it will be cleaned up. Would you like to see her again, Boboiboy?"

See her again? I mentally ask. Will I ever see her beauty inside that room? All in there is only Death, and she doesn't deserve it. Will Yaya live?

"Yes," I slowly reply, still keeping my tears to myself. "Of course."

He nods and opens the door for me, like an angel welcoming a lifeless soul.

I take a deep breath and slowly walk inside the white room. The door closes with a soft bang! but it sends me a lot of shivers down my spine.

The room is coated in pure heavenly white. There are no paintings hanging on the wall, nor wide windows capturing the whole hospital, or even some fancy carpets to ease my pain. There, in the middle, only stands a single gurney... and a covered body lying on top of it.

"Yaya..." I desperately call and quickly walk towards her. "You aren't dead, right? You're faking this like old times, and you'll come back alive. Right, Yaya?"

I murmur a lot of incoherent words that could console my pain. However, when I decided to catch a glimpse of the undeniable truth through lifting that while blanket, I am earnestly at a loss of words.