Chapter 25 - Scorpius

2.5 Months Later

Paris was beautiful. It wasn’t my first time in France, but all my previous trips had been to the chalet owned by my mother’s family, many miles from the capital. Truthfully, I had never had any interest in the so-called ‘City of Love’ until this year. But now… now things were different.

I must admit, I almost didn’t leave England at all. Rose had decided at our little meeting in Diagon Alley that she would like me to come to St. Mungo’s after the baby was born. To meet our child. I had seriously considered changing my plans for European travel, so that I might be around in case I was needed. But my father had reminded me that I could always be home in a matter of seconds, and also that the time away would be good for me. What can I say? I do try to listen to the advice of wise men.

The main reason I was in France, other than keeping my grandmother company, was to complete a mediwizard training course. I didn’t really want to be a healer, but for what I wanted to do, I needed to go through that training first. What I really wanted to do was go into medical research. Specifically, research on rare diseases and blood curses - such as the one that had killed my mother. 

When Slughorn had first conferenced with me about what profession I wanted to pursue, I had told him this without hesitation. He told me I would have to get my grades back up, and I did - because there was nothing I wanted more in the entire world than to find a way to prevent anyone else from going through what I had endured. Watching my mother waste away to nothingness, as every day my father drew into himself a little more. Losing everything, and being afraid to love anything again because I couldn’t stand another heartbreak. 

St. Mungo’s offered courses, but the French wizarding community was more advanced in the areas I wanted to study, so when Grandmother suggested a stay in Paris I was happy to agree. My applications were sent and before I knew it, I had been enrolled in a rigorous ten-week program, running from mid-October until the Christmas holidays. After that, I would be returning to England for a brief respite before hopefully starting an apprenticeship under an experienced researcher. 

Today, 20 December, had been my last day of training. I’d taken the final test, which had not been very difficult all things considered - I was, of course, plenty good at school when I bothered to put my mind to it. Now I was headed back to the townhouse owned by my family, where I supposed Grandmother would be waiting. She would probably insist on taking me out for dinner tonight, which I would agree to although I really hated all the high-end restaurants she was so fond of.

When I entered the house, I went up to my grandmother’s quarters, where I found her peacefully scanning the pages of Witch Weekly. She looked up at me. “Scorpius. How did it go today?”

I shrugged. “Pretty well, I think.” I waited for the dinner suggestion, but it didn’t come.

“You should get some rest. You’ve been working very hard, and you were up late studying last night. Call the elf if you need anything, alright?” There was a mischievous sparkle in her eye, but I couldn’t figure out why it was there.

“Yeah, I will.” I kissed her cheek. “Thanks, Grandma.”

She beamed, patted my cheek, and shooed me away. 

When I reached my bedroom door I turned the knob and strode inside, where I found something I didn’t expect: a dark-haired boy sitting on the bed. It was my best friend. 

I laughed, and after the typical greetings and hugs, we got to talking. 

“What on Earth induced you to come here?” I asked Albus cheerily. 

“Well, I wasn’t busy and figured I could come early to spend some time with you before your dad comes on Sunday, so I asked your grandma and here I am.”