Four

Four

Grace struggled to contain the anguish pouring out of her as she watched Everett lumber away. She pressed her apron to her eyes, forcing back the heady rush of tears. She sucked in a deep breath and held it.

Life wasn't fair.

This blasted war had already stripped her of so much, and just when she'd begun to glimpse a flicker of hope for the future this cruel world had snuffed it out again. The hatred and disapproval in Everett's eyes wrenched her heart, and now their budding romance was over as soon as it had begun. She should have known better than to trust him with the truth. She'd spent years keeping it safely locked away.

"Trouble in paradise?"

Grace started and whirled around. "Sarah!" Grace clasped a hand to her chest. "How long have you been standing there?"

"Long enough." Sarah stared at her with an expression that sent chills down her spine. After a moment she flicked her hand toward the oversize doors. "I heard a commotion from my room upstairs."

"Oh, um, yes. Two wounded men were brought in by a local farmer."

"Will you need my help?"

Grace folded shaking hands in front of her. "I don't think so, Sarah. Thank you for asking, but go on back to bed. I'll see you in the morning."

Grace turned to stride out of the entrance hall, but dread settled in her stomach. Sarah may not be letting on, but she had almost definitely witnessed the exchange between Grace and Everett.

How much had she heard? And what would she do with the information?

Grace tried to stuff down her fears, and the harsh reality of Everett's reaction to her revelations. She sought to cloak herself in the placid façade she'd perfected over the last three years. She sucked in another breath, failing miserably to achieve any measure of calm.

"Pull yourself together, Grace," she muttered to herself. "Joshua needs you."

Focusing on her brother-in-law, she squared her shoulders and marched to the Confederate ward prepared to take any action necessary to aide him and his compatriot. No matter how much it riled Everett.

"This man's dead," Shaffer's voice echoed along the hall. "There's a large wound in his abdomen."

Grace's heart leapt into her throat. No! She slowed her steps, struggling to maintain composure. She came around the corner. "Are you certain he's dead?" she demanded. "Both men were breathing when I checked them in the wagon."

Shaffer lifted a cool, irritated gaze to her. "He's dead," he answered. "I'm certain of it."