Chapter 11: Cambiare (Part 2 of 3)

(PLEASE READ PART 1 FIRST)

Note:
There has been some confusion over the nickname Buginette. "Buginette" is the French dub's equivalent of "Bugaboo", much like "Chaton" and "Minou" are used in the French dub, and "Kitty" is used in the English one. The suffix "-ette" is a diminutive, so Chat's essentially calling her "Little Bug" in a cute, affectionate way. I hope that helps clear things up :)

---------

(Mood Music: I Was Lost Without You (Piano version)- Mass Effect Soundtrack)

Ladybug leaned backwards onto the closed door with a mighty "PHEW!", closing her eyes in thankful reprieve. The talk with her parents had gone much better than she'd anticipated, despite the ridiculous and abrupt parting. All that was left was to convince Chat to stay. Maybe he'd listen to Ladybug, since her words carried more authority than Marinette's due to her status as a protector of the city.

"So, you found me," Chat's lilting voice brought her back into the moment. She opened her eyes and saw him across the room, arms crossed and leaning against the far wall. He wore his usual carefree smirk, but she noted his tensed shoulders and the position of the cape, purposely positioned to hide the bandages and bruises on his arm. Trying to downplay the severity of his injuries, she realized.

Ladybug put her hands behind her back and pursed her lips, replying impassively, "I did."

Nervous butterflies filled her insides. Chat had told her as Marinette that he didn't want Ladybug to find out he'd been hurt. Would he be upset that she'd shown up out of the blue? The thought of him not wanting to see her sent a cold, uncomfortable trickle down her spine. This wasn't how she wanted their partnership to kick off. Instead of a joyous flurry of excitement and camaraderie, it had all turned somber and ominous, with the added burden of having to be even more cautious and alert than ever from now on.

UGH, this was so hard!! She hated that she couldn't tell him her identity, or know his. It would make things so much simpler if there didn't have to be any more secrets between them. Fu had explained why he shouldn't know her identity; the risk of akumatization was still too great. But why shouldn't she know his? Wouldn't knowing who he was in real life make it easier for her to be able to look out for him? She made a mental note to visit Fu as soon as Chat recovered so they could discuss the matter further, along with the myriad of other questions about their current situation.

Putting those concerns on hold for a later date, Ladybug asked Chat hesitantly. "How are you feeling?"

Smiling wide, he replied, "Great! Fit as a fiddle, Bugaboo! Don't you worry your gorgeous little head; I'm always ready and at your service." As if to demonstrate, he stepped away from the wall, and bowed with a flourish.

"Is that right?" she asked, quirking an eyebrow.

"Of course! See for yourself." He shifted his stance, suppressing a wince that she might've missed had she not been looking closely; and he stood hand on hip in the trademark cocky pose she'd seen countless times before, almost imperceptibly bearing most of his weight on one leg.

"Uh-huh..." she replied skeptically, eyeing him up and down. "So why are you walking with a limp?"

Chat's face scrunched up like he'd sucked on a lemon. Shrugging, he fumbled out, "I– uh... stubbed my toe on the bedpost?" He pointed back towards the bed and gave her the phoniest, most ridiculous cheshire grin; and had it been any other occasion, she would've busted out laughing at his antics.

Instead, she frowned. "Chat..." she said with a disapproving tone and he winced in response.

She walked slowly towards him, stopping just past arm's length.