Chapter 11: Cambiare (Part 3 of 3)

(PLEASE READ PARTS 1 AND 2 FIRST)

---------

(Mood Music: La Veillée - Yann Tiersen)

Sabine closed the door behind her and Ladybug let out a long, pitiful whine, hiding her face behind her hands, hoping that somehow she'd find a portal to another dimension within.

Chat wrapped his arm around her shoulders and remarked with a snicker, "Don't be so nervous, Bugaboo! You're starting to sound a lot like my friend, Marinette."

Ladybug's head whipped up like a spring and she let out a shaky chortle, a too-wide smile plastered on her face. "HAH! That's funny! HAHAAA!! The Dupains' daughter!! Cute, isn't she?"

GOD, WHY DID I SAY THAT?! WHAT IN THE WORLD IS WRONG WITH ME?!!

Chat chuckled in amusement. "She sure is. She's a big sweetheart, but she can be a bit excitable."

Ladybug groaned internally, feeling her eye twitch. Understatement of the century.

She cleared her throat in an effort to snap herself out of her stuttering stupor and get the thumping in her chest under control, before she did something stupid.

Not trusting her traitorous mouth to not embarrass her further, she simply took Chat's hand and made her way out of the bedroom and towards the sweet embrace of crumbly, sugary, chocolatey goodness. The one thing that always stayed the same in her life, no matter how confusing everything else got.

"I wonder where she is, anyway," Chat mused aloud. "I'd love for you to meet her. I think you two would get along really well!"

Ladybug almost tripped on thin air, but managed to continue her speed-walk to the kitchen while internally screaming.

From the living area, Tom overheard what Chat had said and replied, "Oh, that's a great idea! I'll go fetch her so she can say hello! Maybe we can even get a picture of you two!"

Ladybug suppressed a shriek and dropped Chat's arm like a sack of potatoes and whipped around to respond. "OHHH, you know what?? I just realized that I'm late for a, uh– dentist appointment!! I'd better go! Sorry I won't get to meet your daughter! Next time, definitely!"

She rushed over to quickly shake hands with Tom and Sabine, thanking them yet again, then ran back to where Chat stood perplexed.

"Feel free to call or message me anytime," she said to him. "My kwami will let me know if you're trying to get in contact with me."

He grinned back widely and replied with a wink, "Can do. Goodbye for now, My Lady." He took her hand and, with a slight bow, gave it a soft kiss. He gazed at her with the same look as before, back in the bedroom. A look full of fondness. Respect. And... something else; that other emotion she couldn't quite identify. Could it be...?

No... There was no way. She was just flattering herself by even entertaining the thought. Chat was just... a very affectionate friend. Someone who didn't receive a lot of physical closeness in his daily life. It shouldn't be a surprise that he'd be so touchy-feely with her. There might be some mutual attraction, sure (something that she still needed to sort her feelings about). But to imagine anything more would be delusional.

Regardless, his boldness always managed to knock the air out of her lungs, and she couldn't help but be rendered speechless.

All at once, however, Ladybug could feel her parents' stares from the back of her head, which Chat most certainly had not noticed (or if he did, he didn't seem to care).