■ S E V E N T E E N ■

■ SEVENTEEN ■

"We should head back," Chase said as the sun began to sink lower.

"Yeah don't want you getting in more trouble," I replied giving him a smile.

He rolled his eyes. "Come on," he said as he walked back the way we came.

The swamp looked eerie as we crossed the bridge. "Chase!" We heard a voice call out.

Glancing at me, Chase took off in a run with me hot on his heels. We broke through the treeline to see his mother. She was standing at the back door and the moment she saw us, she put her hands on her hips.

"You are grounded, young man, that means no friends," she stated before looking at me.

"Christine, how are you dear?" She asked with a smile.

"I'm good, Mrs Mareno," I replied, giving her a smile back.

A face appeared over her shoulder before James emerged from the door. Chase sighed. "I saw you," James stated crossing his arms.

Mrs Mareno frowned.

"I just wanted to cheer her up," Chase replied, roughly.

"That path was our secret," James snapped.

His mother gave him a glare. "And now it's also Christie's secret," Chase said, narrowing his eyes at his adopted brother.

I swallowed. "You didn't have the right to show her that."

"I really don't give a shit what I have rights to not do, you weren't the only one who built that path therefore I can show it to whoever the hell I want," Chase snapped back.

"Language!" Mrs Mareno snapped.

"Well fine, that means I can do that to, I know Caitlyn would enjoy the view," James said almost as if he was baiting Chase to snap.

"Anyone but that stupid bitch, sorry mom," Chase said, before looking at her.

She just shook her head. "My girlfriend isn't a stupid bitch and I would appreciate it if you stopped calling her that!" James exclaimed.

I twisted my hands before looking away.

"Girlfriend? Ha! That's hilarious brother, wasn't it a week ago that you were telling Christie that she was the love of your life before you fucking stabbed her in the back!" Chase snapped.

Mrs Mareno gasped, glancing at me.

I was studying the ground because it had suddenly got interesting. "Chase, just leave it," I muttered.

I didn't want to start a war between brothers. I just wanted a friend. "You're an idiot James, for letting Christie go, you don't deserve happiness and you certainly don't deserve our secret path, if you talk to her or me again, I'll punch you in the face," Chase added before taking my hand.

I jumped at the contact and looked up to see James glance at it. "Chase!" Mrs Mareno scolded.

"Come on," Chase said before leading me up the side of his house, to the front gate.

"You didn't have to do that," I said quickly.

"I don't regret it and I never will" he replied as we walked.

"Chase, stop for a sec," I said, stopping at the edge of my driveway.

He stopped, turning to face me. "What?" He asked, shrugging his shoulders.

"I know you like me, and I'm honoured-" I began before he tried to cut in.

I shushed him. "-but after everything that's happened in the past two weeks, I just want to be alone for a while," I said apologetically.

He looked away. "I would never treat you like that Christie, I've known you longer than he's been living here and I would never treat you like that," Chase replied, before looking up at me.

"I know," I said before taking his hands.

He sighed. "I was going to ask you out that day, at the party," he said, making me look up from our hands.

"You were?" I asked, surprised.

He gave out a nervous chuckle. "Why do you always seem surprised when someone takes interest in you? You're the smartest, bravest, funniest and most beautiful girl I know," he complimented.

My heart jumped at the compliments.

I wasn't used to them. "You're an amazing woman, and you deserve to be happy, and I had always hoped that I would help you but I get it, and I'll respect your wishes," he said as our fingers entwined.

"Thank you Chase," I said before stepping closer.

Leaning in, I pressed a small kiss on his cheek before pulling away. His eyes were closed and they opened slowly to look at me.

"Let me know if you ever change your mind," he breathed out.

I smiled, which caused him to smile. "You'll be the first to know," I replied.

Letting go of his hands, I walked up my driveway. "I'll pick you up tomorrow," he called out.

Turning around as I walked back, I grinned. "What for? It's saturday!" I called back.

"Exactly!" He yelled.

I eyed him. "You're insane Chase Mareno!" I yelled before turning back around and walked up my front steps.

"So are you!" I heard him yell back before he laughed.

I shot him a grin and walked inside my house. My mother was in the kitchen, cooking and my father sitting on the lounge.

"Where have been?" Dad asked as the front door closed.

"Hanging with Chase," I replied walking over to him.

"Mhm, is hanging the new word for what you kids do now?" He asked, making me laugh.

"No dad, he found a way through the swamp and  built a bridge and stuff, he wanted to show me," I said, smiling.

"That sounds nice," my mother chipped in.

"It was,"

I moved towards the stairs. "Dinner will be ready in half an hour," mum said quickly.

"Awesome, I'm just gonna go have a shower," I replied as I walked up the steps.

My feet made no noise on the carpeted stairs, before reaching the second floor and walking to my room. Pushing open my door, I went to flick on my light but a hand grabbed me, pulled me away from the door and muffled my screech.

"Ssh, it's me, I just wanna talk,"

A/N

Hmmm who is it?
Who do you think it is?

Don't forget to vote and comment!
Lots of love, Tavana xoxoxox